1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Problems with JBL PB12

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Greg_L_C, Dec 15, 2002.

1. Greg_L_C

Greg_L_C Stunt Coordinator

I have a pb12 that is about 8 months old. last night while everyone was asleep, we were awakened buy a very loud low frequency sounds. It sounded like bombs were dropping on the house. After running around the house for a few seconds, I finally realized it was the sub. I looked at the receiver and it was not on and hadn't been on for days. I reached behind the receiver and pulled out the sub cable and it didn't stop. the sub is kind of hard to get to so I just unplugged the powerstrip its plugged into and it stropped.
    finally everyone got back to sleep. this morning I plugged it back in and it started up with the same noise.
    Anyone ever have a problem like this? Is the amp gone bad.

Any suggestions on what to try next?

Thanks
    Greg

2. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

It's most likely the amp gone bad. The PB series tends to have fewer problems with this than the older PSW-D series, but the amps go out on both series way WAY more than any other ones I've heard of. It's a very widespread problem with them.

3. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

I guess this is why I never recommend theirs or infinity powered subs (seems to be a harman international thing, look at reviews of their subs at audioreview). Though this might throw off the sound some you might want to check out partsexpress and get a different plate amp for it or send it under warranty (if I remember correctly they usually have a 1 year on electronics warranty but I could be wrong). Seems like you have the dreaded bad amp syndrome linked to this brand (do us a favor, ask Jbl why it seems the sub goes out at night, as it seems on most of the reviews at audioreview).

4. Greg_L_C

I wish that I had done a little better research on the pb12. Will be calling JBL tomorrow.

Thanks

Greg

5. Greg_L_C

Well my faith has been restored a little with JBL. Called customer support and talked to a nice tech support person. He offered to ship me a new sub if I would ship the broke sub to them. They must know somethings wrong with that model, but I will give them an A+ on there support.

Greg

6. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

I'd give them a C, to me it's expected that a company makes a mistake they pony up for it but if take into account how large Harmon International is and they expect you to pay (shipping) for them to take care of it and smaller companies such as SVS, ACI, HSU, Ascend, etc who would most likely pick up the bill both ways if it's their fault, makes them look less generous (not including the fact they don't seem to be repairing problems from past gear, you'd think the data would be there). I will still admit that I do have a higher opinion of them now after they treated you well and I am happy for you that at least you are being taken care of (trust me I can sympathize as my DD/DTS decoder went out on me and I had to do without sound in my main theater room for a while).

7. Mike Gratis

Mike Gratis Auditioning

Having dealt with various warranty repairs over the years, I must say it is standard practice and a part of almost all warranty contracts for companies to require that customers get the product back to them in order to recover the repair, whether it is shipped or you have to bring it to a warranty service center. Sometimes, after it is truly determined that the repair is a manufacturing defect, a company will reimburse you in some way; but not very often. [​IMG]

8. Greg_L_C

I was expecting to have to jump through hoops to get the warranty honored. So I was surprised when the first offer was a replacement. Won't recommend JBL subs, but have had many auto components with no problems so I will continue to consider there products when I'm shopping

Thanks
    Greg

9. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

10. Tom McGary

Tom McGary Auditioning

I had this exact scenario happen to my DPS-10 sub that I bought refurbished from the harman audio website. What actually happens is there are two capacitors that are undersized/too low power handling and they fry. I had them replaced by a local electrician for $50 and its been fine since. Wish I had called harman though and got the new sub like you did.

I have read several posts throughout the past 4 years where this has happened. Its kind of a design glitch jbl/infinity has with their sub amps. Hope everything works out with your sub.

11. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

12. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Greg_L_C (if you're still out there!),
    Do you remember what number you called to get such an offer? I understand that it was quite some time ago, so if you can't remember, no worries! [​IMG]

13. Greg_L_C

Ron,
    I sent you a return e-mail hope it helps.

Greg

14. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Greg_L_C,

Well, it was worth a shot! I have to make a decision as to what direction I want to go, but I sincerely appreciate all the assistance and information you have provided me!

Here's the e-mail that I received back from the Harman Group (JBL):

I have read your email and am sorry that your subwoofer has failed.
    Unfortunately your unit is more than a year out of warranty. Subwoofers
    often exhibit the same symptoms, regardless of the cause of their
    problem. With this in mind, I would recommend sending the amplifier
    (not the entire sub) to our premier service facility located in North
    Hollywood, CA. They have a flat fee on most repairs of $60 for labor
    and do not charge a diagnostic fee. I believe that this is a reasonable
    fee for an amplifier overhaul. There is also the possibility that the
    unit will require certain parts that may no longer be available or
    deemed irreparable. If this is the case, then I am prepared to offer
    you accommodation pricing on a new JBL subwoofer. The accommodation
    pricing is roughly $200 plus shipping. It is for a brand new PB12 with
    warranty. We sometimes offer this for out of warranty subwoofers that
    for whatever reason cannot be serviced. My suggestion is that you send
    it to Hi Tech Masters for servicing as they are able to repair most
    problems at component level. If you have any further questions, please
    feel free to contact me.

15. Greg_L_C

Ron

For about $120 you could buy a quality plate amp from parts express. Thats my plan if my PB12 goes out again.

Greg