What's new

Problems with hooking up my new HK-520.... (1 Viewer)

Art Simon

Grip
When I turn the radio on it seems to work fine, nice and powerful. When I switch it over to Video 1 to watch cable
I have to turn the volume up A LOT on the receiver just to hear anything. It seems to be this way when I watch a DVD too, but not as bad. Why is this? I have all 5 of my speakers set to small and my Subwoofer set to 80hz.
Last thing is, the top of the reciever seems to feel quite warm. Is this normal?

Thanks...Art

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
TV/Cable volume is attenuated and does not react in the same way as other direct sources. On my 510 I get basically no significant volume boost until -30 or so when using AV inputs...DVD being the one exception.

Jason GT

Second Unit
How much is "A LOT" (in terms of the dB reading given by the receiver)? The dial goes up beyond 0, and isn't too loud until you breach say, -20 (depends on your room and other setup factors too of course).

WRT your cable, is there some sort of volume control upstream of your receiver?

Art Simon

Grip
I have to turn it up to say -10 just to get a desent volume to hear it. This only happens when I'm watching cable TV.
The DVD seems to work a lot better, I don't have to turn it up nearly as far. When the radio is on it is A LOT louder.
Is all this normal?

Art Simon

Grip
Jason I re-read your reply and a light bulb came on. I turned the speaker off on my TV and now the receiver works fine. I didn't know that the TV volume had anything to do with it. Thanks for the help :)
Btw is it normal for the receiver to feel quite warm when it is in regular use?

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Yes, warm = normal, warmer if you work it hard. My 110 gets plenty warm but never "hot".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks