1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Problems with Hi8 tapes on camcorder

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Edwin_M, Oct 24, 2001.

1. Edwin_M

Edwin_M Agent

I'm having problems with a class project. We were supposed to film a fake commercial and then transfer it to a vhs tape so we could take it to class. A person in the group had a new Sony Handicam so we used that. When we were done I took the tape home to edit it because I have a camcorder but it's an older Sharp camcorder that also uses Hi8 tapes. I planned on using the old camcorder to play the tape and edit it on to a vhs tape. But when I put it in the camcorder all I get is snow. Is there a compatilbilty issue with tapes from one camcorder playing in other camcorders? Even if it's the same format tape?. Could please answer?

2. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

Make sure both cameras are the same format. 8mm, Hi-8mm and Digital 8 all use cassettes that look alike, but are not necessarily compatible.

3. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Your friend's camcorder probably records in Digital 8. Your camcorder only reads Hi8 (analog) so it ain't gonna work.
    8mm -> Hi8 - D8
    Each format can read everything at its left, but not its right. Also notice I said read, not record: Digital 8 will read abnalog tapes (8mm and Hi8) but will record ONLY in Digital 8. At least that was a year and a half ago when I got my TRV-310. It is possible that the more recent Sonys record in all these formats, but I doubt it.
    --
    Holadem

4. Edwin_M

Edwin_M Agent

Thanks for your help. I'll see if I can somehow get this project done before it's due.