Problems with getting a BIG tv into your place?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by MarkHastings, Jun 8, 2005.

1. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I am moving into a condo and have enough room for a 62" DLP, but I am really concerned about getting it into the room to begin with. Since my living room is on the 2nd floor, it would have to be taken up a flight of stairs. The stairs aren't going to be the problem, but the doorway may be since it is on an angle.

Has anyone had problems getting a large tv through a doorway (or around a corner)? Since I am getting a deal on the tv, I wouldn't be able to return it, so it would HAVE to fit.

Any horror stories? Is there a way to measure to see if the tv fits? Ideas?

2. JohnnyKretentiv

JohnnyKretentiv Stunt Coordinator

I have a 65" Mitsu and had a similar problem when I lived in a little '50s home in Cleveland. First we took the tv apart. It comes in 3 pcs (screen, top cabinet, and bottom where the guts are). We also had to take off the door to the room and the trim.

I understand your fear. Is there a way you can take the top portion with the mirror off? Mine was made to do that since it was so big.

After all that screwing around I ended up buying a front projector anyway. Jeeez!

3. John S

John S Producer

Hmm DLP and LCD RP's are pretty thin, I'd think only CRT RP in that size would not go through the door. Probably have to take it out of the box before bringing it in though.

4. MarkHastings

I'd really hate to have to take the set apart. [​IMG]

I am now debating between the DLP and a front projector. I would definitely go with the projector if it weren't for the fact that the wall (that the TV screen would go on), is inbetween the entrance way stairs and the stairs that go up to the bedrooms. Since I won't be able to run wires along the floor, I'd have to go through the walls, but the walls area all sheet-rocked and the A/C ducts run through the floors, so that's not a good idea.

I was just talking to the video engineer (where I work) and he was mentioning wireless video projectors? Anyone know how these are?

5. MarkHastings

I was thinking that I could measure the doorway and see if the set will fit through if we stood it on its end, but I don't know if that's good for the set?

Can you stand a DLP on it's side? Once I make it through the doorway, it can be turned back to normal and there'd be no problems getting it into the living room.

6. Craig

Craig Second Unit

You seem to be thinking you'll have problems with the length of the TV. Did you have trouble getting your mattress and boxsprings through the door? You'll probably find that as far as length and width (not depth) that your boxspring set is as large or larger than the TV. Don't know if it's your particular model of TV, but Circuit City has the HL-R6167W 61" Samsung DLP listed as 56.9" x 41.6" x 18.4". That's a lot smaller, for example, than queen-size mattresses or box springs, which measure about 80" x 60".

7. Paul Anthony

Paul Anthony Stunt Coordinator

You should consider getting a plasma. Problem solved!

8. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
  9. MarkHastings

I haven't moved in yet, but my dad did say that I should see how the box spring goes (it's a queen). The DLP that I'm looking at is the Mits WD-62725 which is 43.7" High, 58.3" Wide, and 19.9" Deep.

10. JohnnyKretentiv

JohnnyKretentiv Stunt Coordinator

I don't think putting on it's end is a big deal especially for only a few minutes. Just tip it up and slide it through on a towel or rug. I am having a hard time visualizing so I might be completely off base here.

11. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

There was an unintentionately hilarious thread on a similar topic some time ago, except the poor guy was already at the delivery stage and found out it wasn't gonna work.

EDIT: Well what do you know. Not only was the thread already linked to (post #8), it has been revived.

--
    H