Problems with Fox's THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL (1951) R1 SE DVD

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Roderick Gauci, Jun 8, 2003.

1. Roderick Gauci

Roderick Gauci Stunt Coordinator

I just sat down to watch the Fox “Studio Classics” SE DVD of THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL (1951) but, barely six minutes into the film (right at the beginning of Chapter 3 to be exact), I heard a sharp snap inside the DVD player - and I had to unload it because the picture started breaking up, while the audio dropped out entirely! Actually, I tried to play this same scene with the Commentary on and the sound became horribly muffled and eventually dropped out here as well! By the way, is the intro to the menu screens supposed to look so ugly, as if the entire picture was pixellating or something?! For the record, I checked both sides of the DVD and neither of them appear to be scratched.

I’m curious to know whether anyone has encountered any such problems with this disc. Fortunately enough, I only received it last week - so the store from which I ordered it should have no trouble in sending me a replacement. However, I’m terrified at the prospect of having a disc which has lain unwatched for some time (perhaps years) and which, when I finally decide to go through it, I find it to be problematic!

In the past, I only had similar trouble with a couple of discs: the VCI DVD of BLOOD AND BLACK LACE (1964) which had well-known compatibility issues with a number of players, but was eventually replaced with a good copy; and Disc 2 of Disney’s SILLY SYMPHONIES set which also started to break up (during the Richard Sherman interview), but subsequently played just fine when I tried it a second time! Does anyone here know where to find a complete list of known cases of faulty discs, so that I can check if other titles I own may be affected?

P.S. I own a Multi-Region Pioneer DV-535K model, purchased in December 2000.

2. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

No problems with my copy, on any number of players (Panny A120, Minteks, DVD-ROM).

What's your player?

3. Jim Peavy

Jim Peavy Supporting Actor

This sounds like your hardware went south.

My disc plays perfectly.

4. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    Yeah, that sounds like a hardware problem. I've had no problems with mine.

5. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    have you tried to play it in another player?

before you start a thread asking for problems on a dvd. you might check it in another player first.

don't want to start an unnecessary panic.[​IMG]

6. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

7. Roderick Gauci

Quote (originally posted by Gordon McMurphy):

“Rod, if I were you, I wouldn't put another disc in that player until a qualified technician has given it the once-over. The last thing you want to do is permanently damage other discs.

Scary stuff.”

Actually, I just finished watching MGM/UA’s SE disc of Brian De Palma’s DRESSED TO KILL (1980) on that same Pioneer DVD player and it played faultlessly! So, I’m thinking that it must be a faulty disc and not a hardware issue.

I don’t know…maybe it was just pure coincidence that, exactly before the THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL (1951) DVD started pixelating, I heard a sharp noise like something snapping coming from somewhere within the room I was in, but it sure seems strange now!

Anyway, while I have only 1 DVD player, I might decide to try it on my Toshiba DVD-ROM or perhaps on my brother’s and uncle’s players (although I’ve got no idea which brand they’ve got) before sending it back for a replacement!

8. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Ah, Dressed To Kill is a crazy movie! I find Blow Out superior to it, though. [​IMG]

Yeah, try the disc on other players and then just get a replacement regardless of what happens; better to be safe than sorry! [​IMG]

It's a great DVD edition of a great film.

I take it you will be buying The Thing From Another World in August, Rod?

One of Orson Welles' best films. [​IMG]

Gordy

9. Roderick Gauci

Quote (originally posted by Gordon McMurphy):

“Ah, Dressed To Kill is a crazy movie! I find Blow Out superior to it, though.

Yeah, try the disc on other players and then just get a replacement regardless of what happens; better to be safe than sorry!

It's a great DVD edition of a great film.

I take it you will be buying The Thing From Another World in August, Rod?

One of Orson Welles' best films.

Gordy”

Unfortunately, I haven’t watched BLOW OUT (1981) yet! I think that DRESSED TO KILL (1980) is De Palma’s most successful foray into Hitchcock territory (actually, I just watched SISTERS [1973] for the first time only recently and found it to be somewhat overrated) - and I also prefer it to the more renowned CARRIE (1976). Incidentally, yesterday I also caught up with HI, MOM! (1970) on TV and next Wednesday there’ll be a showing of THE FURY (1978), which I’ve never seen either.

I was really looking forward to watching THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL (1951) again for the third time (especially to go through those awesome supplements), and which would have been followed by my second viewing of THE ANDROMEDA STRAIN (1971) via the Universal DVD; I guess now it’ll have to wait until I get a serviceable disc of EARTH! By the way, I’ve always been baffled by the amount of praise heaped upon Robert Wise’s THE HAUNTING (1963), especially on this Forum. I’ve seen it twice so far (and have it on VHS) but on both occasions I was, to put it mildly, underwhelmed by it; in fact I even think that I prefer the Richard Matheson-scripted THE LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE (1973) to it! Of course, I’ll probably still get Warners' upcoming SE DVD of THE HAUNTING (if only for the Audio Commentary) but it’s not a priority for me at the moment!

As for THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD (1951), I was very disappointed that Warners didn’t see fit to prepare some supplements for this seminal movie, especially since the DVD is being touted as the “50th Anniversary Edition”. I already own the film on an original PAL VHS tape and I guess I’ll have to learn to live with it. I’m pretty ruthless when it comes to upgrading a title I’ve already purchased on VHS (even for a genre favorite such as this one), unless there are some worthwhile supplements included or the DVD presents a different cut of the film than the one I have on VHS. Although I’ve read about Orson Welles’ alleged involvement in THE THING, I think it is much closer to the work of its producer, Howard Hawks, one of my own personal heroes!

Anyway, you scared me a little back there when you said that I should have my DVD player checked out before trying anything else on it. At the moment, I’m in the middle of a two-week vacation and I already have the coming week’s DVD viewing schedule all planned out. I’d hate to have to stick to watching just VHS for an indefinite period of time!

10. Jim Peavy

Jim Peavy Supporting Actor

Orson Welles and The Thing? What in the sam hill you guys talkin' about?!

11. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

According to the imdb, Orson Welles wasn't involved with The Thing From Another World.

12. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

There is a famous movie myth that Orson directed some scenes, but it is most probably untrue. But it's a fun myth! [​IMG]

Gordy