Problems with DVDs on new Onkyo HT-S755DVC

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kurt_U, Jan 20, 2003.

1. Kurt_U

Kurt_U Agent

I just got my Onkyo HT-S755DVC and am having two problems related to playing DVDs. [​IMG]
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I have the DVD player hooked up with Digital Optical for sound and Component (the three wires) for Video to the Receiver.

The Receiver is then hooked up to the TV (Philips 34PW9847 HDTV) with Digital Optical, Component Video, and S-video. The reason for the S-video is that my Xbox signal only comes in on S-video and the receiver can only pass a S-video signal to either the composite or S-video outputs. These connections are all made to AV-4, which accepts video from multiple source plugs (assuming only one is transmitting at the same time).
    Note: I have also tried hooking up the DVD to its own component input and get the same problems.

Problems
    1. Every once in a while when watching a DVD, the screen goes black for about half a second and then the colors fade back in over the next 1-2 second and the picture is normal again. This never happened with my old DVD player, so I know it is something with the new system, although it is most likely a setting somewhere.

2. Also, the Progressive Scan on the DVD player does not appear to work correctly. When I press the P.Scan button on the DVD remote to change from Interlaced to Progressive Scan, the screen kind of splits in two screens with a very warped version of the picture on each side (about half of each screen is black).

Any thoughts on how to correct this?

2. Kurt_U

Kurt_U Agent

Played around with the settings for a little while last night and can get some slightly different issues, but did not fix it. Set everything back to the way it was described above and decided to spend most of the night programing my Pronto.

Additional system info:
    Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR600
    DVD: Onkyo DV-CP500
    Speakers: Onkyo SKS-HT500 package and Onkyo SKB-100 surround back speaker
    Game System: Xbox
    TV: Philips 34PW9847 HDTV
    Remote: Pronto 1000