problems with DVD when progressive scan is ON

Discussion in 'Displays' started by BrianTKD, Jun 13, 2006.

1. BrianTKD

BrianTKD Auditioning

Hy guys, I have a philips 42PF9630A, connected to a Sanyo DVD/VCR combo (model# DVW-7100). I'm using component cables.

Supposedly, this DVD player supports progressive scan, and indeed when I active p-scan mode, the TV's input is labeled as "420p".

The onle problem is, when progressive scan mode is ACTIVE, the entire screen is shifted/off-centered. There is sometimes a tiny tiny line of multi-colored pixels at the top of the screen, sometimes not, but almost always the entire image is shifted down and to the left. When progressive scan mode is off, the problem is no longer there.

Is this a problem with the DVD player, or my new TV? Either way, is there a way to fix it?

Note: I have already tried to go into my TV's menu and find an image shift option -- none found. So the problem is still there.

Thanks in advance for the help.

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

What happens if you leave the player on progressive and switch to another input (such as your VCR) for several seconds and switch back?

I was going to say leave the player on progressive and turn the TV off and back on but do not do this for a non-CRT RPTV or front projector as this will shorten the life of the bulb. (By less if you wait five minutes before turning it back on).

3. BrianTKD

BrianTKD Auditioning

Nothing changes. I can even go into the DVD menu and turn progressive scan mode off and back on. When it's off, the screen is back to normal. When it's on, the entire image is shifted.

I havn't yet had a chance to try another DVD player on the TV (I don't currently have another one that has ProgScan on it). And I don't have another TV that supports progressive scan either (so i can't test the same DVD player on another TV).

Has anyone heard of this problem before? Is it common on older DVD players, or maybe on DVD/VCR combo players?