1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Problems with Digital Natural Motion

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mikko-Ville, Mar 26, 2002.

1. Mikko-Ville

Mikko-Ville Stunt Coordinator

Hi!
    Has anyone had any problems with the Digital Natural Motion when wathing DVDs? DNM is a new feature on Philips TVs which should make all the motion in the picture look very smooth and natural.
    My problem is when watching DVDs with Digital Natural Motion on it tends to make all motion look very unnatural [​IMG]
    When turned off the picture looks normal.
    Any similar problems anyone?
    My TV is Philips 32PW8807.

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

I would not be surprised if they tried to do some blending of adjacent field or frame content so that any jerkiness inherent to just 24 frames per second gets smoothed out. This would be moving in the opposite direction from 3-2 pulldown detection and optimizing during conversion to progressive scan.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

3. Christopher Bosley

Christopher Bosley Stunt Coordinator

My experience has been that Natural Motion is pretty good for smoothing out my cable channels but I never use the non-HD input for watching DVDs. Dunno if you HAVE an HD input on your model but a progressive scan DVD player into one makes all the difference.

4. Mikko-Ville

The jerky motion is lot more noticable on PAL (R2, R4)encoded dvds. I don't really notice it on NTSC (R1) encoded ones. Perhaps it has something to do with the PAL speedup compared to NTSC?

PS. I don't have a HD input on my TV.

5. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

I'm assuming it's supposed to smooth the 24->30fps conversion?
    PAL shouldn't be jerky at all. Like you said, it's just 24fps played @ 25fps, so it should be as smooth as it was in the theater (albeit, 4% faster!). Maybe it's trying to smooth out things it shouldn't and is causing weird things to happen??
    Is it something that can be disabled?
    P.S. Welcome to the Forum! [​IMG]

6. Mikko-Ville

It's really weird because the jerkiness doesn't seem to be there with NTSC encoded dvds. With PAl encoded dvds the jerkiness varies from just noticable to very annoying.
    Fortunately it can be turned off. Though it actually makes the picture look better if it wasn't for the jerkiness. When there isn't much happening on the screen the picture is nice and sharp but when people for example people start moving fast it looks the director has put a really funky effect into that scene.
    P.S Thanks for the welcome! [​IMG]

7. yekai

yekai Extra

Does it has progressive scan input?

If so, it's much better to use a PDVD player.

As I know, only a few 100HZ TV has 3:2 pull down when they do de-interlacing.

8. Mikko-Ville

No progressive scan input. [​IMG]