Problems with Denon 4800 DVD Player

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by John Nunnally, Oct 17, 2003.

1. John Nunnally

John Nunnally Auditioning

I need some help. I have a Denon 4800 DVD player and a Denon 4802 receiver. I just got my main board replaced on the DVD player because of video problems and now I am having trouble getting it set up again at my home. This may sound strange but when I put in a DVD everything is fine when I am going through the initial menu screens. I get sound and video. Then when I click the menu option(on any DVD) the movie starts to play but their is no sound. While I am going through the menu phase(previews and advertisments) there is sound and I look at the readout on the receiver it says "digital" but as soon as I click the option to play the movie it flips over to analogue and poof no sound. I have gone through the setup on both the receiver and the DVD player and can't seem to find the problem. Can someone help me out?

Frustrated,

John

2. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

Sounds like a setup menu problem. The DVD player has a setup menu. Look for something that says audio. Under that, there should be something that says bitstream. Bitstream must be on. You may also have to activate DTS. I'm not familiar with Denon. I'm sure someone with a Denon out there can help. Of course, when all else fails, read the owner's manual. Good Luck.

3. John Nunnally

Yes,

I have done these things. In the setup menu I have chosen the bitstream options. My digital in and out setup is correct. I have even plugged a Denon 1600 and get perfect audio and video. I also tried switching from digital coax to fiber optic and that did not work. Something just does not make sense. When each DVD starts it plays sound and video. It is only when I select the "play movie" option in the DVD setup menu that my sound goes away and the Denon 4802 receiver switches to analogue.

4. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

sounds like some kind of problem passing a DD 5.1 signal. Most menus are stereo, so it seems stereo signals are being passed with no problem, but when it tries to send a DD signal problems start... have you tried a DTS disc? try enabling DTS on a disc THEN playing it, just to see if it's DD only or DD and DTS. Either way it sounds like you're going to have to send the unit off for repair or return it to where you purchased it.

5. David_D

David_D Stunt Coordinator

I had similar problems one time with my system. It turned out someone changed settings on the receiver so that it wasn't set to auto-detect digital signals any more. Pro-logic was Ok, by DD didn't work at all. I set my Denon receiver back to auto-signal detection, and all was well.

6. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

Yes, that's the only other quick check that can be done: auto detect. Also make sure your inputs are assigned properly (the digital input into the receiver, Coax 1, corresponds with the input number assigned to the dvd player.

7. John Nunnally

I have the auto detect on but still no sound. I called a Denon tech and they told me to try reseting it by hold the "pause and search" together and then pressing the "Open/close". If that doesn't work I'll have to send it in. Bummer because it is 2.5 years old. Remind me to wait till prices drop on new products before I buy them next time.

John