Problems with D-VHS

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by CarlosGH, Apr 30, 2005.

1. CarlosGH

CarlosGH Stunt Coordinator

I recently cleaned the heads of my JVC 30K D-VHS player. I had to clean it twice and an HDNET tape still pixeled once. I watched a regular VHS tape, a bit old, and it looked good, but every now and again it looked like the screen jumped a few lines. Also after using the tape if I was watching a tape (DVHS or VHS) the screen would freeze if I ejected the tape or if I rewound the tape. The tape was used repeatedly at Best Buy for a demo and the VCR was an open box. Could the freezing of the picture be a sign that the firmware is corrupted? How can I tell that this unit has the newer firmware installed?

2. Tony Kwong

Tony Kwong Supporting Actor

How did you clean the heads? Could have been a defective/worn tape. If the unit was from Best Buy, most likely it did not have the newer firmware. Mostly refurbs and units that were sent in for service had an upgrade.

3. Dick Boneske

Dick Boneske Stunt Coordinator

I have the same JVC D-VHS deck. It performs very well on regular VHS, but will not play pre-recorded D-VHS tapes. When attempting to, I get occasional freeze frames and a lot of pixels and black screen. It has never played D-VHS tapes properly. I have cleaned the heads with a commercial head cleaning tape and manually with a swab and isoproply alcohol.

Does anyone have a suggestion on what to do? Will JVC install new firmware if this is the problem?

4. CarlosGH

I ordered the JVC head cleaner off of ebay for a really cheap price then found out that a Sony tape was actually the best. I don't know the condition of the D-VHS tape that I have. It was free when I bought the JVC. I don't know the condition of the tape because they used alot in a different machine to demo HD.

At the same time I read of a guy that bought a JVC demo tape that played perfect even though it was looped for 10+ hours a day. The tape is an HDNET tape of Argentina, but it looks like a Maxwell tape with a label over it. Is this a copy or an original?

5. Tony Kwong

They only thing you can do is call them up. Unlike years earlier most JVC service centers are aware of the problems with these decks and can fix them. I've had 2 30k decks that were fixed with inability to playback HS speed DVHS tapes. STD and regular analog recordings were fine. If it's firmware related, I don't know. Right now I also have to send a 40k because of a "201 calibrating error". all my other decks are fine. They always seem to record fine but playback always seems to be the problem. Both of my 30k have been working fine for 2 years now, that is after they came back from JVC from servicing.

Hard to tell with HDNet stuff. As they can be recorded from the channel and the tapes (from HDNet store)can be copied bc there is no protection. Heck HDNet even encourage you to make copies of it. But to sell a copy that is a no no.

6. CarlosGH

I was shocked when I first played the tape and had the president tell me to copy it. Can regular D-Theatre tapes be copied with DVHSCap?

7. Tony Kwong

No because there is "D-Theater" copy protection.

8. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

My 30K has no trouble playing D-VHS tapes recorded on a Panasonic PV-HD1000 some 6 years ago!

9. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

I'll do a web search on the problems with the JVC D-VHS, I had plan to get one when the tax check came in, but I may have hold off. Anyone else has a problem.

10. Tony Kwong

there are lot of problems with JVC D-VHS decks. but when they are working everything is just great. Like this week finally being able to archive VOOM channels on Dish.

11. Tony Kwong

I just got another Sony T-25CLD cleaning tape and that fixed my JVC 40k! I guess my old cleaning tape was very worn out! I ordered a new one from Amazon with some other stuff, but the tape never showed. I found one locally last night. Even when I cleaned it manually it didn't work. BTW this is one of the only cleaning tapes (that's still in stock) that seems to work. I never had any luck with the DFC2 tape. I'm glad I dont have to send the deck to JVC!