Problems with bass shakers??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gabriel Heller, Dec 13, 2001.

1. Gabriel Heller

Gabriel Heller Auditioning

Hi guys. I´ve a couple of questions regarding the bass shakers that I hope you can help me with. First of all, I have noticed that the "punch" emited by the subwoofer is less when I connect the shakers to the LFE line. Is this normal? Should I turn up the volume of the sub to compensate?

Also, my sub has an "auto on" feature and even though everything is switched of (mainly the receiver) the sub powers on when the shakers are connected to the LFE line. Why? Could it be that the shakers have some electrical charge left even if they are powered down? I hope you can help me. My biggest fear

is damaging my subwoofer. This are the components hooked with the shakers:

Sony receiver STR 445 ("80watts" x 5)

Sub Boston Acoustics PV800 (300 watts @ 4 ohms)

2 Aura bass shakers (25 watts) with 2 amps from Apex Jr.

Thanks in advanced

2. John H

John H Second Unit

Yes, if your subwoofer signal is attenuated compensate by turning up it's gain. Are you measuring it's output with an SPL meter?
    If you simply unplug and reinsert the cable feeding your subwoofer it should also trigger the Auto On feature. It has nothing to do with the shakers.
    John

3. Gabriel Heller

Gabriel Heller Auditioning

Thanks for your answer John. No, I am not using a SPL meter. I am using material I know very well and if you put attention, the drop in the output is fairly noticeable. I am afraid that by compensating with an increase in volume I might "overdrive" the sub. Am I wrong?

On the other hand, the problem with the "auto on" on the sub happens without un-pluging and plugin the shakers. The sub powers on after about 10 to 15 seconds after manually powering it down and then returning it to the auto on position.

Thanks again.

4. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

I also have a question regarding shakers and subs. When I power on the old receiver powering the shakers, I get a "thump" from the sub. Any way to remove this?

5. John H

John H Second Unit

If you are only raising the volume gain on the subwoofer to compensate for a input signal loss you should be fine. It would be the same as turning down the LFE/SUB out in your receiver and boosting the output of the subwoofers amp.
    John