Problems with a DELL LCD TV vs. Direct View

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Ronald Epstein, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    A good friend of mine senr me the following.
    I am hoping the fine folks at HTF can assist.
    Thanks in advance from both of us

I recently bought a DELL 19" Wide LCD TV (HD READY) for a pretty good price, as a second TV. I won't be able to hook up HD Cable to it until later this week, but I did hook up my Philips Progressive Scan DVD player up to it.

Here is my question/problem: When I am playing a DVD in progressive mode, on this TV I can see "snow" or "grains" in the background, specially when its a solid black or white color.

Now, playing the same movie on a Direct View Tube HDTV I dont see the grains, and it looks almost smoother.

Is this because the LCD TV is digital, and it'll show imperfections more so than the analog tube TV? I know that DVDs (even in progressive mode) are compressed, and the quality isn't that amazing as HDTV.

Since, I've never owned an LCD HDTV before, and I can't test HD until this weekend, I was wondering if you knew, or had any idea. I just wanna make sure I didnt get something crappy. I did check reviews, and everything seemed in order.

2. john_kassimatis

Hi all,

I sent the initial email to Ron. If anyone has any information I would appreciate it.

It's a Dell W1900 19" LCD HD-Ready TV/Monitor.

Here are some of the specs:

19in widescreen LCD TV;
    analog TV tuner;
    450 cd/m’ brightness;
    600:1 contrast ratio;
    1280 x 768 native resolution;
    25ms response time;

I have the TV hooked up to a DVP642 (Philips) Dvd Player, using component cables. When I play a dvd the picture is grainy, specially with solid black and white colors.

I did hook it up to an XBOX with coponent and played an HD-Enabled game, and that looked fairly sharp and clear.

Could it be the cables that I am using? They where just a plain cheap pair of componenet cables that I picked up. They are not gold plated.

Has anyone else with an LCD TV (not projection) had the same issue?

Thanks in advance!

- JK

3. Drue Elrick

Drue Elrick Stunt Coordinator

It could be that the graininess is a side-effect of the scaling the LCD has to do to bring the component signal up to the resolution of the display. Is there an option on the LCD to not scale or zoom up the signal?

Also, it could be the DVD(s) that you are using. Some use very high compression and will show graininess/gray in black and white areas. Doubly so if the LCD is scaling the image. There is nothing that you can do about heavily compressed DVDs. I'd suggest testing the display with a DVD that you know has a high bit rate (low compression), such as one of the Superbit versions of a movie like The Fifth Element.

As it is, your cables would have to essentially be falling apart for the signal to be significantly degraded. I don't think that you have to worry about them. You could pick up 3 RCA cables from RadioShack or something, cheaply, and see what difference that makes. Gold plating is nice, but not necessary.

Also, can you not play DVDs from your XBOX? That could also tell you whether its the display or the source. The Philips player may have a poor quality DAC chip.

Lots of things to try and no/little cost to you.

4. john_kassimatis

Thanks for the reply Drue!

I will check to see if there is an option not to scale/zoom the signal. I don't remember seeing anything, but I've only used it for a very limited time.

Where would a find a superbit version of a movie? Is 'The Fith Element' DVD in superbit, or do I have to find a special version of it?

I'll try a set of different cables as well, to see if that makes a difference.. I would try a movie on the XBOX, but I don't have the DVD player kit for it - and even if I did, it doesn't do progressive scan - not on DVDs - not as far as I know.

5. john_kassimatis

Okay... I just tried different cables, different DVD player, and even took it out of progressive mode, and tried S-Video. It's all grainy - no matter what I do. I tried a few different games on the XBoX and some of the also look a little grainy, but not nearly as bad as the DVDs.

I also tried a few different DVDs. Star Wars Episode 1, Daredevill, Matrix - All the same grainy quality.

So I would have to assume that this is a crappy LCD TV, which is suprising since I researched it and found no complaints.

Any suggestions for a LCD HDTV for under 1k? I know that Direct View HDTVs have come way down, but I can't really afford the space.

Also, anyone else with a LCD TV? How is the quality of the pricture? Crystal clear?

6. john_kassimatis

Update:

I called Dell Support, and told them everything that I've tried. They said that it doesn't seem to be normal behavier for the TV - It should deffenitel be clear.

They asked me to call back when I am in front of the TV to try a few more things, and if nothing works - they will send a free replacement.

I must admit that I was shocked with the friendly support I have gotten from Dell so far. Other than the long wait time, it was helpfull.

7. John*D

John*D Second Unit

I'm starting to hate the DELL LCD tvs...

I've gone through 3 of the 23" tvs, all have had severe "backlight leakage" plus the current one, which is being replaced this week has some Green screen that will come on/off and bleed into the screen when I'm watching a dvd. It's really sad that DELL has such poor lcd tvs.

I won't even get into the INDIA-based customer support. What a nightmare.

[​IMG] Hopefully your lcd tv will be replaced and you won't have anymore problems. Good luck.