Problems w/OTA HDTV tuning in DC area

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Vargas, Sep 19, 2002.

1. Chris Vargas

Chris Vargas Agent

I have a Samsung SIR-T150 tuner. Lately I've been having some annoying problems with tuning certain channels in the DC area. It started with our local CBS affiliate showing up as "no signal" and then also happened to the ABC affiliate.

After a few days of this, I had the Samsung do an auto-search for channels, and CBS popped up again, even though I had just tried going to the right channel by hand and it couldn't find a signal.

Now, my NBC affiliate is acting screwy... my tuner light is green, I can tune to the right channel, signal strength is as good as it ever was, but the channel shows as "no signal." And ABC is still MIA.

Is this a hardware problem? Is there anyone out there in the DC area that has had similar problems? Is this operator error?

Thanks for the assistance.

2. Judy Y

Judy Y Stunt Coordinator

Apparently, WJLA, our ABC station is moving it's operation to a new location. They will be down for a couple more weeks or so. However, when they come back on line, they are supposed to be passing the HD signal through.

WUSA had some issues this past week, but, I thought, they were back up.

Now, from what I have read at AVS forum, WRC is having some drop out issues. They were trying to fix their lip sync problem with a new encoder and now the picture freezes up and pixelates quite frequently.

When it rains it pours, huh?

Judy

3. Chris Vargas

Chris Vargas Agent

Judy: thanks for the quick reply. Misery loves company! I'm glad to know it's not a hardware problem, and glad to know WJLA is finally upgrading their signal.

It'd be nice if these stations' websites actually had this kind of info on them (it might be there but I did some searches and couldn't find it).

Thanks again.

4. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert

5. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    www.titantv.com is a good source for programming info and indicates WB and UPN will soon go digital in the DC area.
    Below is their list on stations scheduled to go digital and the tentative date:
    IND 57 WNVC-DT May 1 2003
    IND 30 WNVT-DT May 1 2003
    NBC 55 WHAG-DT Nov 1 2002
    PAX 12 WWPX-DT Nov 1 2002
    PBS 33 WHUT-DT May 1 2003
    PBS 28 WFPT-DT May 1 2003
    PBS 29 WMPB-DT Apr 1 2003
    PBS 21 WVPY-DT Testing
    PBS 44 WWPB-DT May 1 2003
    UNI 15 WFDC-DT Nov 1 2002
    UPN 35 WDCA-DT Nov 1 2002
    WB 51 WBDC-DT Jan 1 2003
    Judy thanks for the info on ABC before I drove myself crazy. I actually have 2 separate antenna sources fed into my Samsung tuner that enables me to get Baltimore and Washington from my location. When WETA took their digital signal down earlier in the year, I drove myself crazy. I had just ripped apart my main room to wire for a projector and have the walls fixed and painted after I messed them up and moved the Samsung tuner to the bedroom system at the same time WETA stopped their digital broadcast. I drove myself crazy for 2 weeks, remaking and remaking cables, changing splitters, bypassing splitters, etc., before I went to their website and noticed they were not broadcasting digital.

6. Judy Y

Judy Y Stunt Coordinator

I am almost to the point where I don't care when the late-comers are going to broadcast HD. What I want to know is when are the current broadcasters going to go FULL POWER so I can get a GOOD, consistent signal from existing program providers. That is what is really frustrating. Baltimore is slightly closer to me but the only station I can get reliably is channel 13.

Ah, well, last year I would have been overwhelmed by all the additional content available now. Guess I always need something to complain about!

7. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    I have had no trouble getting both Baltimore and DC signals. PBS was the only exception, mainly due to the fact that I have a 10 ft. antenna in the attic (with a preamp) position to get Baltimore and DC analog and it got everything except PBS which would break-up. Since I had another lead going to the attic, I just spent $21 for a small Channel Master antenna which solved the problem. I have them going to the tuner on an A/B switch. PBS was more of a problem since the digital broadcast was from the Arlington area vs. the Bethesda area which is used for many of the DC stations. It helps greatly to go to www.antennaweb.org and enter your address and get an idea as to direction of the stations. Then it is a matter of where you are in relation to the broadcast tower, the type of antenna, etc. I am fortunate in that the bottom part of my lot is just under 100 ft. above sea level so where the antenna sits, it is about 125 ft. When I put the 1st antenna in about 5 years ago and was playing with positioning I was actual able to barely see some ghosts of ABC channel 6 in Philadelphia one night. In one place I lived many years ago in New Jersey between NY and Philadelphia I actually had a VHF antenna which allowed me to get NY and Philadelphia stations, a UHF antenna pointed towards Philadelphia and a separate FM antenna. You can't control the broadcast signal strength but can maximize what you can get.