Problems w/ Onkyo TX-DS575X

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Steve__R, May 31, 2005.

1. Steve__R

Steve__R Auditioning

I just recently got a refurb Onkyo DV-CP702 6 disc DVD changer and I am having problems with the sound when I change discs. The dvd player is connected to an Onkyo TX-DS575X with the Digital optical out. The problem happens when I change discs, the sound drops out and the only way to get the sound back is to change the source on the receiver from DVD to any other source and then back to DVD. The problem doesn't happen all the time but I would say about 80% of the time. The display on the receiver will say Dolby Digital even with no sound. I tried the two Optical and two Coaxial digital inputs on the receiver and the problem occurs with all four. I think the problem is the DVD player and not the receiver because I don't have any problems with my cable box (Optical Digital out). If anyone has had a similar problem any info would be appreciated.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Do you have the receiver set to "auto detect"? I have seen many receivers that will retain the previous listening mode when it is manually selected. Selecting "auto" again when the signal isn't picked up is typically the solution. If not, then I would suspect the player too.

It could be something about how that player sends the signal to the receiver. Maybe it doesn't turn the audio output back on (or never turns it off) after it switches discs, so the receiver doesn't know what it is supposed to do. That sounds like a problem, not just something odd about how that player works. You already gave the best reasons to suspect the player - it did it on both optical and coaxial, and it also doesn't do the same thing with your cable box.

You might want to ask this question specifically about your player in the sources forum, or have this thread moved there, in case it IS something that is a known issue for this player.

3. Steve__R

Steve__R Auditioning

I have the receiver set to auto detect. How would I get the thread moved to the sources forum?

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    You could just put in your post here that you would like this thread moved. There are always a few moderators on at any given time.

OR, start a new post there, and just tell everyone in this thread you started a new one in the sources forum. [​IMG]

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Moved.

6. grantG

grantG Agent

Steve, you might want to view the reviews of this receiver on the Audioreview website. I may be mistaken, but I think this receiver has a history of this problem. However, I had this receiver in the past and never experienced the problem.

Again, not sure if it was this Onkyo but give it a look.