What's new

Problems w/ new toys. (1 Viewer)

Matt:H

Auditioning
After some searching of old posts in hopes of finding the answers needed to resolve my issues, I now feel like the dorky kid pulling into an exotic car show on a Moped. I don't have any fancy set-up like some of you, but I am hoping that someone here can help. Somehow the short bus riding people at the local Circuit City seem to know even less than I do...if that's possible.
A couple months ago I purchased the following items from Circuit City:

RCA HD52W59 52" TV
Sony DAV-FX10 Home Theatre System
A set of Monster component cables (returned to store so I have no pn)
A set of Monster audio cable (same thing, returned)

The cables were too short and they didn't sell any that were long enough to work for this application. So, I went on Ebay and bought the following cables:

Monster Standard THX V100CV 16ft. component cables
Monster Standard TXX I100 16ft. Stereo audio cables

The placement of the center speaker is directly on top of the TV itself with the two front speakers are on stands and placed one on each side of the TV. The cables are run together in convoluted tubing from the DVD player to the TV.

Now here's the problem. When watching cable TV, the screen is fine with no issues. The problem occurs only when watching a DVD. It's most obvious when the screen is dark, but now that I know it's there I can see it almost all of the time. The picture has these faint waves of vertical lines/shadows that run across the screen. The lines are evenly spaced and occur at the same distance apart, over and over. There is a few extra feet of Monster cable that is behind the TV. Originally, when I installed everything I rolled the extra cable and zip tied it to keep the wiring as neat as possible behind the TV. When I first noticed the problem, I cut the zip ties so that the cables weren't wrapped together. The problem seemed to get a little better, but by no means resolved.

I've talked to several different people at the local Circuit City, but they all just keep saying that they don't have a clue as to what the problem is...or even a possible fix. :angry:

Any ideas/tips as to what to try first? My only idea is to buy new cables and see if that helps...but I am wondering if this is a common problem with long cables or is there another possible problem that I am missing?

While I certainly didn't spend thousands of dollars on this set-up, it's really frustrating to sit down and watch a movie on basically new equipment and see these damn lines running across for the duration of the movie.

Thanks for any help you can offer!!

Matt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
If by that you mean the lines scroll from top to bottom (or vice-versa), that’s typically an indication of a ground loop. Most often cable TV is the culprit. Try disconnecting the cable feed from the system and see if it goes away. If that’s the problem, there are remedies.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Matt:H

Auditioning
Thanks for the reply. The lines are vertical and start from the left side of the screen and travel towards the right side.
Let me thrill you with my technical skills. It looks like this.. l l l l :D

RickRO

Stunt Coordinator
Do you have another DVD player to check on the TV if the cable feed is OK then it could be your DVD player. I'm not familiar with that TV does it have HDMI or DVI component? Is it CRT, LCD, DLP? I would lean towards the DVD player. If it is a fixed pixel display it could be a scaling problem.

Good Luck

RickRO

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks