Problems w/Godfather and Toshiba SD-3109

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shakeel, Oct 9, 2001.

1. Shakeel

Shakeel Auditioning

I wanted to see if anyone else is having the same problems as I am. I cannon access the "Behind The Scenes" documentaries and the deleted scenes from the Bonus DVD. As soon as I choose a specific documentary/deleted scene, my DVD player freezes. I tried to the same on the DVD-Rom on my computer and everything worked fine. I was hoping someone can try to do the same on their Toshiba and see if they have the same problem.
    Thanks
    Shakeel

2. ChristopherS

ChristopherS Second Unit

I have a Toshiba 2109 and everything is working correctly. It sounds like it is your machine as the DVD's are working in your other player.
    Chris

3. Joe McCabe

Joe McCabe Second Unit

Toshiba SD9000, and I have the same problem!

4. Greg Foan

Greg Foan Stunt Coordinator

Check your firmware version. I had some problems with my 3109 and it turned out to be an early version. An authorized dealer (check with Toshiba) can do it for you, hopefully free of charge, as mine did. I think the most recent version is 3.0 or higher.

5. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

I'm having the EXACT same problem on my Pioneer DV-37. Total freeze up when I try to play any of the documentaries or cut scenes. It looks like some non-standard code was used and a handful of players are having problems with it.
    Perhaps this thread should be moved to Studio Feedback so that Martin Blyhte can be made aware and Paramount can address this.
    -Lyle J.P.

6. rbirk

rbirk Stunt Coordinator

Greg, my local service center wants $50 to upgrade the firmware on my Toshiba 3109. I was thinking of buying the new 4700 instead.
    Ron Birk

7. Shakeel

Shakeel Auditioning

Same here...the authorized Toshiba service center in my area also wants about $50 to upgrade the firmware...now my only concern is spending the money to find out that it doesn't fix the problem.

8. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin
    OT but another thread (in Bargains, I believe) says Buy.com is selling the Pioneer 434 for $149 so I wouldn't think it would be worth it to spend $50 for an upgrade but that's just my opinion of course.

9. Benson R

Benson R Supporting Actor

I to have the 3109 and am having the same problem. I think I already have one of the newer firmwares because I know that the 3109 has many problems of which I have experienced none except with the hard lockup on Dogma SE. I wouldn't be surprised if more people report to have problems in the days to come. I didn't even touch the bonus disc until I watched all three movies and I think many people will be the same way.

10. Larry Schneider

Larry Schneider Second Unit

Same problem, Toshiba SD-9000.

11. Casey Neutron

Casey Neutron Stunt Coordinator

I had a problem accessing the "additional scenes" on my Toshiba SD-2006. When I select the "additional scenes" the dvd player does nothing. So here's a way around that problem:
    With the disc stopped (not on the main menu, but actually stopped), enter Title 2, Chapter 1 on the remote, then press play. This will take you into one of the deleted scenes. From there, you can either Skip Forward or wait until the scene ends, and then you will find yourself at the "additional scenes" menu and you can navigate it from there.
    Worked for me.

12. Larry Schneider

So what's the deal here? Will Paramount provide a replacement disc?

13. Shakeel

Shakeel Auditioning

I was still unable to access the deleted scenes using Casey's tecnique. My player (3109) froze when I tried to acess Chapter 2, Title 1 directly.

14. Benson R

Benson R Supporting Actor

So is there anyone with the 3109 who didn't have problems? If so what firmware version do you have? So far it seems like all the 3109 firmwares are having this problem.

15. Bob_Mandel

Bob_Mandel Stunt Coordinator

16. Chris Yesh

Chris Yesh Agent

I sell audio and video. I have a Pioneer elite dv-37, and it doesn't work with it. And i've called all my customers that i've sold dv-37 to, and the one's who have godfather, it also doesn't work.

17. Larry Schneider

So what is Paramount doing to do about this? Do they have a quality control department? On a high profile DVD set how can this sort of thing happen?

18. Jim Benard

Jim Benard Stunt Coordinator

I've got the same problem on my DV37, anyone had any feedback from the studio on this issue yet?

19. Reed Grele

Reed Grele Screenwriter

Reed Grele
    I have 2 Toshiba SD-3109's. Both play the supplemental Godfather disc (ALL segments) with no problem whatsoever. These players are at least a year old, and have never had any FW upgrades or servicing.
    Reed Grele
    [Edited last by Reed Grele on November 07, 2001 at 10:29 PM]

20. Brian O

Brian O Second Unit

My 3109 with ROM V1.120 - R1 bought in April '99 is having the same issues, deleted scenes and documentary material locking up after I initiate a button press on each particular scene or interview. This also applies to the easter eggs on the 5th disc too.
    However on my Toshiba DVD-Rom SD-M 1202, firmware 1026 everything works perfectly. Go figure. The DVD-Rom is older than my 3109 by almost 6 months. I use PowerDVD 2.5.
    This is the only problem DVD I have had with my 3109 since I bought it. Since that time, I have ran close to 300 discs including movies, documentaries, sports, music, and Imax. Not one problem until now and that includes the known "problem" discs. My 3109 has been perfect until the Godfather supplemental disc.
    With that in mind, I dont feel I need to upgrade my ROM. I believe Paramount is to blame and needs to remaster the 5th disc for those that are having problems. Evidently, it is not just a Toshiba brand issue, as other DVD player brands are having issues, too.
    What are the odds that Paramount will own up and fix disc 5?
    ------------------