What's new

Problems using AVIA (1 Viewer)

Rob Andersen

Auditioning
I recently purchased a Hitachi 32UDX10S direct view hdtv and I tried to do a simple calibration using AVIA. I had two problems while trying to set the contrast and sharpness on this set. For the contrast setting, they say to increase it until the horizontal lines on the top gray box start to blur. When I display the test image, the gray boxes are all solid colors with no horizontal lines showing no matter where the contrast is set. When I watch the instructions for this test, the pattern shows correctly during that part, but the actual test pattern is different.

Also, when setting the sharpness, they say to lower it until there are no white halo's around the vertical black bars. The problem is that I still have slight halos around the black bars even at 0 sharpness......

Any help with this would be appreciated. I'm not sure if this is typical for this type of tv or if I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks,
Rob

Brent Hutto

Supporting Actor
Make sure you're using whichever picture mode (probably labelled "Movie") turns off scan velocity modulation on the Hitachi. That "feature" is an edge-enhancement effect that is sort of like a sharpness control on steroids (i.e., bigger, stronger, angrier).

You may be having other issues with your calibration, as well, but the SVM (or whatever Hitachi calls it) will really limit the quality of your results.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks