Problems Setting Up Denon AVR 4800

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Pete J, Jul 23, 2001.

1. Pete J

Pete J Auditioning

[​IMG] I have been using my home theater setup for a few months now but I still cant figure the settings to connect my VCR and LD player to my RPTV. All is well if I hook them directly to the TV with audio/video cable. But if I connect them to the VCR and LD inputs of the receiver, I get nothing. I need help (instructions on setup) from an experienced Denon 4800 owner.
    Is anyone out there?
    Pete J
    ------------------

2. Kelly Webb

Kelly Webb Auditioning

hello pete,
    if you are using s video connections then just run one out of your vcr to 4800 and likewise from your ld and connect to the ins on the 4800,they will be on the far right next to the cooling fan,after doing that, run one s video cable from the s video monitor out on the 4800 to your tv. if you are using composite connections you would do the same thing as stated before but with rca connects of course. also if you already have something else like a sat. rec. connected using s vid and you are trying to do the ld and vcr by using composite connects it probably will not work that way,not for sure but the 4800 will only work with everything connected in the same manor such as all rca's or all s vid's.hope this helps.
    kelly

3. Kelly Webb

Kelly Webb Auditioning

pete,
    i believe i misunderstood your question. just remember to press the appropriate function on the denon remote when you want to see a picture from each piece of equipment such as vcr and vdp. if everything is connected via the same way with same type connts then you should see a picture when you press vcr,vdp or dvd or whatever,just be sure that you have your tv on the video 1 or however you have it set up to watch the video option on your tv.
    hope this helps.
    Kelly

4. DanG

DanG Stunt Coordinator

quote: Originally posted by: Pete J
    I have been using my home theater setup for a few months now but I still cant figure the settings to connect my VCR and LD player to my RPTV. All is well if I hook them directly to the TV with audio/video cable. But if I connect them to the VCR and LD inputs of the receiver, I get nothing.
    [/quote]
    Okay, I'll take you through how my Kenwood Laser Disc is hooked up using AV cable(RCA composite connects). Facing the back of the Denon, the audio inputs are the leftmost vertical column. The R&L audio outs from your LD go onto the VDP inputs of the Denon. Make sure in the System Setup menu, under Digital Assignments, that you have VDP set to "None". This tells the Denon not to use the digital ins, but instead use the analog input which we have used.
    Next the video inputs on the Denon are, going right, two columns over from the audio column. The video out from your LD goes into the VDP input on the Denon. Also at the top of this column is Monitor Out1. I have this going out to the Composite Video1 Input on my TV.
    To view "Hunt for Red October" you start the LD and select VDP as the video mode on the Denon. The TV would be set to Video1 and you should have picture and sound.
    Hope this helps.
    [Edited last by DanG on July 23, 2001 at 10:11 PM]

5. Pete J

Pete J Auditioning

Thanks Kelly and Web. I tried your suggestions and still no output. Maybe I should detail my setup. I'm using composite RCA plus analog audio from the vcr and ldp into the jacks that are appropriate. I only use a single composite RCA to the TV because I'm driving the TV speakers with my receiver amp. I get no sound or picture. The receiver is set to vcr-1 and analog input mode. My monitor out-cable is connected to the monitor out-2 jack. I don't know where you tell the Denon to use that. I have the S-video cable on the monitor-out 1. Monitor-out 1 goes to my video-1 in on the TV and monitor-out 2 goes to video-2 in. I have tried the various choices on the DSP menu including the default of "wide screen". I have both a component video cable and an s-video cable from my dvd player to the receiver and both kinds of cable from the receiver to the TV. Only the component video cable works right. At the s-video in I get a black and white 4:3 image no matter what I play. All my digital modes are off except for the DVD in. I decode my cd's in the dvd player and send analog to the receiver. That works.
    ------------------

6. Henry W

Henry W Stunt Coordinator

As best I can tell from your post this is the root of your difficulty:
    1-to use composite outputs from the AVR-4800 to your TV, you must have composite inputs into the Denon from the source you wish to view
    2-to use S video output from the AVR-4800 to your TV, you must have S video inputs into the Denon from the source you wish to view
    3-to use Monitor 1 or 2, you have to use the RCA input from the source you wish to view.
    If this does not solve your difficulties 100%, I'll be glad to help you further. You can e mail directly if you wish or post a response.
    Best regards-Henry
    ------------------

7. DanG

DanG Stunt Coordinator

8. David Proud

David Proud Stunt Coordinator

Henry is correct. Try his suggestions below just as he explained...
    As best I can tell from your post this is the root of your difficulty:
    1-to use composite outputs from the AVR-4800 to your TV, you must have composite inputs into the Denon from the source you wish to view
    2-to use S video output from the AVR-4800 to your TV, you must have S video inputs into the Denon from the source you wish to view
    3-to use Monitor 1 or 2, you have to use the RCA input from the source you wish to view.
    If this does not solve your difficulties 100%, I'll be glad to help you further. You can e mail directly if you wish or post a response.
    Best regards-Henry
    ------------------