Problems playing "The Fast and the Furious"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Silla, Jan 2, 2002.

1. Michael Silla

Michael Silla Second Unit

Is anyone else out there having problems with this disc?. The disc stops completely in Chapter 8 for me, right around the dinner scene. I am playing the DTS track on the disc using my Playstation 2. Unfortunately, I don't have a second player to try it on.

I am trying to figure out if I just got a bad disc. From what I have seen so far, this movie rocks!.

Michael.

2. James Spraggs

James Spraggs Stunt Coordinator

I just finished watching this film in DTS on the Playstation 2, and experience no problems at all. Have you bought the dvd remote from Sony that has the updated DVD drivers? If not I would recommend picking it up as the drivers add a couple new features and better disc support for the problematic dvd's.

3. Frank James

Frank James Auditioning

Ya, I have a PS2 and I had the same problem, on mine it started in chapter 7 with DTS, I then tried swithing to DD and the problem got worse! I then went into the setup screen on the PS2 were you can change the Disk speed, I set it to Fast (no pun intented!) and restarted chapter 7 (back into DTS) with no more problems for the rest of the movie. Never had this kind of problem before, my PS2 is only 2 months old. Oh ya, and I do have the remote with the updated firmware.

I think I'm gona get a real DVD player this weekend to leave my PS2 strictly for games!

Hope this helps,

Frank

4. Michael Silla

Did you do this under the "Setup" menu or the "System Configuration" menu?. I don't see an option for changing disk speed under either.

Michael.

5. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

The layer change occurs somewhere around the dinner scene, about 50 mins. into the film, I double checked it, it is the layer change.
    What a frickin AWESOME film, My favorite part was when Vin broke out the Charger and proceeded to do the best street wheelie I've ever seen on film, fuckin' awesome! BTW the Charger was the BEST car in the movie IMO [​IMG]

6. Frank James

Frank James Auditioning

"Did you do this under the "Setup" menu or the "System Configuration" menu?. I don't see an option for changing disk speed under either. "
    Hey Michael, To change the disk speed on PS2...
    Turn on the PS2 and on the Screen that has the "Browser" and System Configuration" options, Hit the Triangle (for Version). That takes you to a screen that shows all the driver versions, then hilite Playstation Driver and hit Triangle again for Options. Thats were you can change the Disk Speed.
    Hope this helps, sorry it took so long to reply, I work nights [​IMG]
    Frank

7. Frank James

Frank James Auditioning

"Did you do this under the "Setup" menu or the "System Configuration" menu?. I don't see an option for changing disk speed under either. "
    Hey Michael, To change the disk speed on PS2...
    Turn on the PS2 and on the Screen that has the "Browser" and System Configuration" options, Hit the Triangle (for Version). That takes you to a screen that shows all the driver versions, then hilite Playstation Driver and hit Triangle again for Options. Thats were you can change the Disk Speed.
    Hope this helps, sorry it took so long to reply, I work nights [​IMG]
    Frank

8. Tim_Speicher

Tim_Speicher Stunt Coordinator

Wow,

I just stumbled across this thread after being a little irritated about the stutter during the same pinic scene. I even took back the copy to get another one, thinking it was damamged. Unfortunately, it still happened. That along with the fact that I've heard many say this DVD can be considered Reference material, has made me decide to get a stand alone player (Pioneer 440 or Panasonic RV-31). I don't have HDTV, but I'm sure that the quality will be much better on my Sony Wega 27" with one of those two players, compared to my PS2.

-Tim

PS. What is this remote thing that people are talking about for the PS2 to upgrade drivers? How does it work and is there another way to get the drivers updated?

9. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Yeah, mine has an ugly problem too:
    It plays perfectly.
    [​IMG]
    (NOT trolling! Just being the comedian tonight...)

10. Michael Silla

Hey All. Thanks for the responses. Frank, I changed the disk speed to "Fast" and it didn't make any difference. I got fed up and returned the disk. My new one plays properly although the layer change isn't "graceful".

This movie simply kicks ass - even with the problems. Ya, the plot (and the writing for that matter) is weak but the action sure isn't. Sean, I absolutely love that Charger scene. Makes me crack up laughing every time I see it!.

Michael.

(gotta get a REAL DVD player and TV)

11. Sean Conklin

12. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

900 hp. [​IMG] I wouldn't live long with that much power under my hood.
    I also noticed the weird pause during the dinner scene. I couldn't tell if it was just a weird scene change or what.
    Jon

13. Sean Conklin

Jon, it is the layer change.

Some DVD players will do the layer change more gracefully than others.

And did it state in the movie the Charger had 900 HP?

14. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Supporting Actor

15. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

The disc speed thingg has nothing to do with DVD playback. It refers to disc speed when playing PSONE games on the system.

And the Charger rules!!

16. Tim_Speicher

Tim_Speicher Stunt Coordinator

17. Sean Conklin

18. Michael Moulton

Michael Moulton Stunt Coordinator

Finally got around to exchanging this one today.

The new one works fine on my PS2. However, it's obviously a second pressing, b/c it no longer includes the coupons and things that were with the original-- all that's in the case is the disc and the booklet.

Since this one works fine, I'm guessing there was only a problem with a fraction of the first pressing.