Problems. Need some advice.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Whalen, Sep 28, 2001.

1. Dan Whalen

Dan Whalen Stunt Coordinator

I don't know if I posted this in the right section, so if any mods need to move it, go ahead. Anyway, I was talking to my wife tonight and she doesn't want me to mount rear speakers on the wall behind the couch (grrrr!). But I might be able to talk her into letting me do them on stands. But they will probably have to be low, like right at the top of the couch. So my question is, if I can do them on stands is it bad to put them that low? If it is bad, or she doesn't want me to then I'll just have to stick with front speakers and a sub (grrrr again!). What should I do? Try and place the rears low, or just go with some really nice front speakers? Thanks in advance.
    Dan

2. BobL

BobL Agent

Hi Dan,
    I understand the WAF. There are many factors that affect placemnt and sound. But, almost under any circumstance I would probably prefer the surrounds even in a less than optimal placement than no surrounds at all. IMHO.
    Bob

3. Robin Smith

Robin Smith Stunt Coordinator

Dan,
    Definitely go with surrounds, even if they are on the floor. I have cheap speaker stands from IKEA on which my surrounds sit about 6" off the ground. They are angled back so aim roughly at my ears.
    I notice no major problem with this design and can definitely hear material in the surrounds that would lessen the HT experience were it not there.
    Hopefully your spouse can live with the presence of surrounds at least SOMEWHERE. Definitely better than no surrounds at all.
    Robin Smith

4. Dan Whalen

Dan Whalen Stunt Coordinator

We talked about it tonight, and she said I can put them on stands so they are just above the back of the couch. She just didn't want them mounted on the wall.
    Dan

5. Dan_Myers

Dan_Myers Agent

The latest copy of Sound & Vision has an article in it where they talk about surrounds. One suggestion they gave was that if you had to have the surround directly behind the couch you could try putting them on the floor and aim them straight up. (Not for bipolar surrounds). I was thinking about this scenario for soud and thought it might work nice to help hide the location of the surround. I was thinking that since you would need to find some way to put the speaker on the floor and still let the speaker wires hookup on the back(bottom in this scenario) that placing the rear surrounds on a cinder block behind the couch might work nicely. In 3 weeks I will be closing on my new house. I have always had my surrounds mounted on the wall, but I think I willl try this layout prior to putting them up on the wall.
    ------------------
    - Dan

6. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Dan,
    Not really an answer to your question. But does your wife realize that they are much less striking and certainly less dominant on the walls? Especially if you can find colours matching the walls.
    Generally, you don't even notice the speakers anymore after a few days.
    My wife preferred them mounted on the walls (just a bit higher, at about 6 ft. from the ground).
    Cees