What's new

Problems installing hardware (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Hello, I was hope some of you savvy HTFers could give me some help with some computer hardware woes. Please forgive me if this isn't the place.

I got two pieces of hardware as Christmas presents... a 30 GB harddrive and a 256k stick of SDRAM.

I tried installing the memory a variety of different ways. I already had a stick of 128k SDRAM that came with the computer, in slot 0. If I leave that in slot 0 alone, computer works fine. If I leave that in slot 0 with the 256k stick in slot 1, it'll startup but give me a different error every time. If I put the 256k stick in slot 0 and the 128k stick in slot 1, the green light will go on on the front of the tower and make it's startup beats, but the monitor will act like the computer isn't on. Same if I take out the 128k stick and leave the 256k stick in slot 0. Not sure what to do here... I'm keeping the 256k stick in a plastic ziploc to protect against static for now, with the 128k back in slot 0. My computer can handle a good 700something MB of SDRAM, and each slot can hold 256k so I don't see what the problem is.

As for the harddrive, no particular technical problems... just can't install the thing. It's a Maxtor 3.5 inch 7200 RPM ATA/EIDE harddrive. I have it mounted underneath my CD burner in 5.25 spare CD slot for now, to protect against static inside the casing, but nothing's connected, so it's just sitting in there. There four conector spikes on the far right in the back, and a capped sucker free in the back of the computer with four different colored wires coming out of the back of it. There are many of these, connected to quite a few things, though the DVD/CD-RW drive and the primary master harddrive being the only ones I can thing of. The installation guide says that I need a jumper something or another, and I see where it would plug into, just to the left of the thing I previously mentioned. But there wasn't one provided, and I don't know where I'd plug it in, or if I should plug it in if I had one... not really sure what it is. I also need to connect a 2 or so inch wide, paper thin grey ribbon. One side was marked to go into the back of the harddrive, with a black end and a grey end half way up dangling open. There are two other such ribbons plugged into what looks like the motherboard, one going to the first bootable harddrive and the other going to the CD drive. These are plugged into the only such spots on the motherboard (or whatever it is.) Half way up each, they have a grey connector like the one that came with the new harddrive, but both have holes rather than pins. Not really sure what I should do or what I should buy from here.

Any help anyone could provide would be appreciated more that you could imagine. Thanks in Advance for whatever advice I can get.

Shane Bos

Second Unit
As far as the RAM goes double check the Specs on the board and make sure that your machine can handle 256MB sticks some can only run up to 128's. If it can I would try another stick.

As for the hard drive goes. jumper it as the Primary Slave. Then plug in you ribbon cable, remember the red stripe goes to pin 1 wich is usually the one closest to the power. next plug in the power same as in the other HD and in CD drive. When you boot your machine make sure that the BIOS recognizes it.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
For the hard drive. First, make sure that it has at least two screws holding it in place - four would be better. Just match the other drive.

Second, the drive needs juice. Look around for a dangling plug. It will have one red wire, two blacks (in the middle) and a yellow. This plugs fits into the far right socket, with the yellow wire towards the outside of the drive. The red wire is closer to the middle.

Third. the ribbon cable. Most drives are set the same. Take the open socket that is attached to the ribbon cable that also goes to your old hard drive and plug it in. The center of the socket on the drive has a space where a hole for a pin should be. It is missing, and that row has to match the same row as the cable.

Finally, since this is your 2nd drive, it must be a slave. On the top of the drive near the back should be some letters pointing to rows of pins on the back of the drive (this is next to the ribbon cable socket). One row is marked 'M' for master and next to it should be 'S' for slave. Take out the tiny plastic piece (usually black) from the 'M' slot and match the holes and push it into the 'S' slot. Tweezers may help here.

The memory has to match your motherboard's configuration. If it does not, well, you already know that. Memory is rated in speeds as well as size. If possible, copy down the numbers on your 128m stick, take that and the 256m stick back to the store and get the right one.

Glenn

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for you help, Glenn! Big time:emoji_thumbsup: It put things in terms that even I could understand.
Thanks again to both of you for your help.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
From what I read above, your computer will not boot with the 256MB stick of SDRAM, right? You do get different sorts of errors depending on where it is, and where the 128MB stick is, but but no matter what, with the 256MB stick in, it doesn't work. This sounds like the 256 stick is faulty.
You shouldn't have a speed problem with the 256, as it is 90% likely to be PC133. It is very hard to find PC100 memory anymore!! Even if your bus ran @ 100, 133 would then be ABOVE spec, and would run fine. This could be a problem with aggressive memory settings, but that seens VERY unlikely a major manufacturer PC!!
What is the make/model of your PC, and the processor speed? As mentioned previously, this could also be a problem with the max capacity of your memory slots, as some older boards cannot take a 256 hunk of RAM
If your PC is in the 300 mhz or faster area, and made by a normal manufacturer (not hand built by someone), I would say that the 256 hunk of RAM is faulty and should be returned.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks