Problems imaging pc's with NTFS

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Charles Bober, Mar 4, 2002.

1. Charles Bober

Charles Bober Stunt Coordinator

I have a few pc's that once had NT 4.0 with NTFS partitions. Now I want to re-image a machine with Win98 (for games of course). So I fdisked, deleted the partition, inserted Win98 boot disk, and this error appears: NTLDR is missing. So how do I get past this so I can install 98? Can I do the same for Win2K? I recently installed Pro with NTFS on my new machine and now I'm seriously thinking about dual booting with Win98 and installing Server.
    Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

2. Thom B

Thom B Stunt Coordinator

Sounds like your 98 boot disk is bad, and the machine is trying to boot from the HD. If the boot disk works on other systems, then it's possible that fdisk didn't completely clean up the HD. Do a search for bigfdisk, and use that to kill your partitions.

For a W2k/9x dual boot, you need to install 9x first, then boot from the W2k cd and install to a seperate partition.

T

3. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

It's trying to load the NT boot menu. If you can get the machine into DOS, do a SYS C: to overwrite it.

4. Brian Hepler

Brian Hepler Stunt Coordinator

Rob is correct. I'm not sure about the "sys c:" command, but you might want to try this: Go to www.bootdisk.com and download their Dos 6.22 bootdisk. Create a bootdisk floppy and stick it in your A: drive. It will contain drivers to get your CD-ROM up & running.
    Now, you can probably run Ron's "sys c:" command. If that doesn't work, slap the Win98 disk into the CD ROM drive and run SETUP.exe. (I think that the bootdisk created from the above link will set your CDROM to the drive letter "R").
    Now, Win2k is another matter. Win2k contains the NTLDR boot loader, and its installation program is fairly sophisticated. If you can, check your BIOS to see if you can boot from CDROM. If so, enable that capability, put the Win2k disk in there and reboot. Follow the instructions and you'll be good to go.

5. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

SYS C: will overwrite the NT bootloader, be that of NT or Windows 2000. If Windows 98 is present on drive C:, the machine will boot directly into it rather than give the NT menu. If you want to format the drive, use format c: /s, which does the same thing after formatting.
    However it sounds like your Windows 98 boot floppy isn't working - or at least isn't being detected - properly. Make sure your BIOS is set up to read the A: drive first.
    Now this is begging the question - how did you get to run FDISK is you couldn't boot off the floppy?

6. Brian Hepler

Brian Hepler Stunt Coordinator

Rob - I recently tried to get Linux off of a laptop and replace it with Win98. Format c:/s did not remove the boot loader (GUMB, I think) that Red Hat installed. It was a fairly annoying situation to have a DOS-formatted hard drive with no way to boot to it. I ended up having to boot from floppy and let the Win98 CD take care of it.

7. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Perhaps I was a bit quick in saying format c: /s achieves the same thing. I would be surprised if SYS C: didn't clear the Linux loader though.

8. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

If it still doesn't boot after "sys c:" just do "fdisk c: /mbr"

That will re-write the master boot record.