Problems hooking up SVS sub to my Samson S700!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Kao, Dec 19, 2001.

1. Mike Kao

Mike Kao Second Unit

I hooked up the SVS to channel one, flipped the switch in the back to stereo mode and plugged in my receiver to the XLR balanced input channel one on the samson using a standard RCA cable. It's a weird fit, but I just simply stuck the RCA plug on the side of the XLR input (don't know how else to connect my receiver to this amp). Upon trying out some music, all I hear is a buzzing noise from the sub. I tried the RCA plug on all 3 sides of the XLR input and I'm sure my positives and negatives are where they should be. So I plugged in a pair of speakers to make sure the sub was not the culprit and all I hear is hiss coming out of the speakers... now my question is:

Do RCA cables not work for this amp? Is there such a thing as an XLR to RCA cable? What might I be doing wrong here?

2. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    What receiver do you have? Are you taking the sub output off the receiver and plugging that into the Sampson?

Parker

3. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Go to a music store and ask for a male rca to female XLR connector. That should take care of the problem.

4. Cliff

Cliff Stunt Coordinator

Mike,
    You can't attach an RCA connector directly to an XLR jack. You need a converter cable like
    this one that connects to a phone jack on the amp.
    Good luck,
    Cliff

5. Jeff O.

Jeff O. Stunt Coordinator

Mike,

SVS supplies an RCA to 1/4" plug adaptor. Just hook one end of your RCA cable to the sub pre-out on your receiver and the other end to the RCA end of the adaptor. The 1/4" plug then plugs right in the center of the input. The inputs on the Samson are not meant to accept standard RCA plugs.

6. Craig Ball

Craig Ball Second Unit

Make sure it's mono too, only one black ring around the end.

Craig

7. MarkPayton

MarkPayton Stunt Coordinator

As others have mentioned - yes you do need a special cable or an adapter. The Samson allows you to use EITHER XLR or a 1/4" TRS (tip/ring/sleeve) plug (1/4" plugs seem to be more common). SVS is providing both an RCA to 1/4" converter cable and an RCA to 1/4" adapter plug with new CS purchases, and they work great!
    I am using my SVS-supplied RCA to 1/4" cable for my sub, and the converter plug attached to a single standard RCA cable for my center, with the Samson S700 powering both, and it has worked great since day one! I would suggest following the link in Cliff's post above and simply buying the SVS package (from BetterCables actually) or going to Radio Shack for an adapter, examples of which which can be found here: Radio Shack 1/4" adapter or here: Radio Shack XLR adapter
    The BetterCables package is very high quality, but if you're looking for a cheap and quick fix, Radio Shack is an easy solution.

8. MarkPayton

MarkPayton Stunt Coordinator

Just FYI - you will notice that the Samson has two different inputs, for each channel - one each for either 1/4" TRS or for XLR. I don't know if there is any difference in quality of connection or signal through either one, so I just went with the easier (SVS supplied) 1/4" solution. You will see in my post above that the RCA to XLR adapters are more expensive, but I don't personally know how much of a difference it makes. I'm sure there are others here with experience who can comment on their experience if they've tried both.