What's new

Problems hooking up 3802 (1 Viewer)

Tommy_N

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys,

I'm having some difficulties hooking up my 3802. My surrounds, which are plug into the back as "surround A" work for with my CD player as the source, using 5-6.1 stereo. This means I know I have them connected.

However the 5.1 input from my DVD player is not working. I only get my left and right. No Center no rear. and I don't think the sub is working.

For set-up, Under "Power Amp" I have them selected as small and surround A. Under "Surround Sp. Setting" I have speaker "A" selected for DD 5/7 stereo, DSP, and Ext in.

The reciever seems to be playing using the Ext in? What exactly is that.

I have a feeling that I am doing something wrong. Any suggestions.

Thanks

Tom

If only the writers of the manual spoke English, even if it was a 2nd language it would be better.

Oh just in case it helps the DD & DTS lights are off on the reciever. The DVD, Phantom Menance is playing in DD.

Arthur Legardo

Second Unit
Real Name
ArthurL
Use either an optical or digital coaxial cable to connect your DVD player to your receiver. The "EXT IN" is mainly used for SACD/DVD-A players.

Tommy_N

Stunt Coordinator
How do I do that? My DVD player has 5.1 output, don't I need a 5.1 input on the reciever?

What would the difference bet between S-link, optical? (both of which my DVD player has)

I assume the optical can handle all the channels?

Thanks

Tom

Geoff S

Stunt Coordinator
The 5.1 outputs were used back in the day when Dolby Digital decoding and processing was to handled by a separate unit and not on the DVD player itself, those players were refered to as "Dolby Digital Ready".

The EXT IN are for an External Decoder. You don't need to use it if your receiver can already decode what you're sending out. Lets say a brand new 5.1 or 7.1 format was invented... by adding a separate decoder, and plugging it in via the 6 or 8 channel analog inputs you could use that format without buying a brand new receiver. Right now it's valuable to have on receivers to be ready for when and if a DVD-Audio or SACD player is added.

What would the difference bet between S-link, optical? (both of which my DVD player has)
Since you have Optical Digital connections on the back of your DVD player then buy an Optical cable and plug from the DVD Player to the 3802 and you should be able to playback 5.1 audio. BTW S-Video is only for Video, it can transfer audio, but that's more for a signal from like a camcorder. Set all speakers to small, sub to yes at your choosen crossover (80hz is pretty standard), make sure Dolby/DTS is set to surround A and your surrounds are plugged into Surround A, assign your DVD input as Optical 1 (or whichever one you plugged it into), set the receiver for Dolby or DTS and hit play on your DVD player.

Let us know what happens.

Tommy_N

Stunt Coordinator
Geoff,
Thank you very much.
I understand the S Video, it is the "S-Link" that I'm not sure what it is. It is on both my Sony TV and Sony DVD player. I vaguely remeber might be specific only to Sony's. I also kind of remeber that the quality from it is not supposed to me that good. Any ideas?
Thanks
Tom
Since I can't watch movies tonight I think I'll try to measure how many feet of cables and wires I have. End to end I'm sure I could make it from NY to FL :D

Geoff S

Stunt Coordinator
Oops, I had thought you said S-Video. S-Link... hmm rings a bell. I think it is only for Sony's (Sony-Link aka S-Link), just like Denon has a Denon Link like the one you'd find on a 5803 Receiver. Not sure if that is all it is or not.

If your DVD Player also has coaxial digital you could use that. More people seem to prefer coax for its durability. Optical is a fiber optic cable so if you bend it you break the light pulses inside the carry the digital information. Personally I use Optical, cause I'm assured I'm getting 100% digital quality, and am very careful with it anyhow.

As for which will sound better it is a total draw.

Good luck, let us know how it goes when everything is set up.

EDIT: EEK! I forgot something important. Make sure in the DVD Player's setup that Dolby is set for Dolby Out, and DTS set for DTS or Bitstream (whatever it is called on Sony DVD Players). Make sure it isn't set for PCM or set to be downmixed or anything.

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Tom: Since you mention S-Link, sounds like you have a Sony DVD player. The S-Link connection is Sony's hardwired remote control connection (which you don't need so you can ignore it.)

Setup-wise, I'll throw my 2 cents worth in...

In your Sony's DVD setup screen, make certain under the Digital out section that the Digital Out is on, Dolby Digital is set to Dolby Digital and the DTS is On. This will send the right digital output to the Denon.

Then on your Denon, go to page 6 in the manual. This shows how to connect digital components. You will run either a Toslink optical cable or a coaxial (RCA type ended) cable between the DVD player and the Denon's digital Optical 1 or 2, or the Coaxial input. Then go to page 25 of your Denon manual and assign the digital input that you used to the DVD input (you can't have more than 1 digital input per device, so set the unused ones to Off.)

Finally, make sure that the input mode is set to AUTO (this is outlined on pages 42 and 43 in the manual.) The Denon will then always check to make a digital signal connection before trying an analog one (for each device.)

Hope this helps some...

Tommy_N

Stunt Coordinator
I just wanted to say thank you. I would have said it sooner but I've been too busy with my new toy :D
Just when I think I have it all set-up correctly. I put all the furniture back, moved the speakers back etc. I realized that somehow my sound for my DSS only goes to the reciever if I have the VCR on. D'oh
I think it is because I have it set up so I can listen to the TV without the reciever being on. For now I don't care. I plan on upgrading DVD players in a month or two I'll mess with it then.
Again thanks for your help.
Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks