Problems concerning JVC dvd players

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JerryK, Feb 28, 2003.

1. JerryK

JerryK Agent

I have a situation and I'm hoping someone, anyone can shed some light for me and possibly be able to give me information for the problem I'm experiencing. I have a
    JVC XV-S300 and I am experiencing problems when playing an All Region DVD. Since Once Upon A Time In America is not yet available in the states I bought the Greek version a certain website is selling. I had already dealt with a cheapy Asian version and felt the Greek version would be of better quality. It plays great, but when the point where the dual layer transfers to the next layer the DVD completely freezes. I have to skip ahead and rewind to the point of the problem, almost as annoying as a flipper. So I'm wondering if anyone has had any problems playing All Region DVDs in their JVC dvd player, my sister owns a JVC as well and experiences the same exact problem. I've read on the internet that usually JVC dvd players won't play All Region DVDs. Why would they do such a thing? I thought the DVD was defective, but it plays fine in a Sony dvd player, a Sony Playstation 2 and a Panasonic Laptop. When I contacted JVC I was told it was not the machine and if the problem was not with a Region 1 DVD they could not help me. What really burns me though is she was acting like All Region DVDs were illegal, but if that was the case why do many bands and small DVD distributors use All Region coding on their DVDs that are sold in the U.S.A. I'm completely lost! Any explaination as to JVCs lameness or the dual layer freezing problem is greatly appreciated and welcome. I've never heard anyone complain about not being able to play their Once Upon A Time In America DVD and the company said they have never had any complaints and would replace it, but should I? Thanks in advance!

2. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

All region discs on a big studio title indicates a pirated version.

3. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Questions about DVD players should be posted in "Hardware."

4. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins

5. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

interesting,

am just familiar with all the R0 Asian releases, which includes EVERY movie [​IMG]

6. Tom Vet

Tom Vet Stunt Coordinator

I own the newer version or XVS500Bk with ICOS Mod and hardwired 'not' software Progressive Scan player with X, Y, Scaling on PAL discs to prevent the 'stretch'. I have the mediamatics chip like the Malata in this player.

I have played Regions 1, 2, 3, 4, 9, and 0 without any layer change problems, I also own a JVC Vhs player. Please don't put down a players name, until you have eliminated the disc is not the problem!

7. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

8. Tim Shumway

Tim Shumway Auditioning

I had the misfortune of owning a JVC XV-501BK And I must say it was the single worst piece of consumer electronics equipment I have ever owned.Ive been told that their recent line of players are much better.But after the ordeal with the xv-501BK and the horrible customer service
    I would never buy another jvc dvd player.I currently have 3 JVC Tvs and they all perform flawlessly.In fact the oldest of the three is approaching 15 years old and Ive never had a problem with any of them.Excellent TVs Junk DVD Players

9. JerryK

JerryK Agent

I believe I have eliminated the fact that my DVD is not defective. It plays on a Sony dvd player, a Playstation 2 and Panasonic laptop computer. I would assume that if a DVD is defective it would have a problem in all players, not just one brand. And I have talked to many people who tell me they have problems playing All Region DVDs on their JVC dvd players. I also contacted JVC and they never responded. When I called them they acted like I was nuts and I was told that since the problem was not with a Region 1 DVD they could not help me. What causes a DVD to freeze during the dual layer transfer, is it what someone said above, an error in the player that doesn't allow it to go to the 2nd layer of info??

10. Tom Vet

Tom Vet Stunt Coordinator

I am sorry to hear about your specific problem but my Uncle purchased a new 2002 Buick off and after they the car got serviced the completete tratment he drove drove 1 block and the brand new Automatic transmission failed.

Cost of the new car was 34,852, it cost the dealer, having to get a vendor to haul the car back. Then they had to get Buick on the line who was very un co-operative about one of their products breaking less than a black away from the Dealership. Oh what a mess, My uncle swore he woudn't ever buy a buick that couldn't hold its own for 1 block.

How many DVD players could you buy for the above figure, Uncle James was as furious as the Buick Division manager who sent a professional mechanic who the said out loud "This car should have never left the plant let alone be sold" to his manager over the speaker phone, talking about stupidity my uncle called the newspaper and told them all new buicks are piles of junk on 4 wheels.

What was wrong the manufacturer never put any auto tramsmission fluid in the car, never road tested the car just put it on to a car carrier and shipped it out. My uncle demanded his money back not for the car to fixed for free.
    They gave him his money back, but you all know he was wrong to say all buicks are lemons.

Just as I say not all JVC DVD players aren't any good also, sure their are lemons but the company should not be judged on complaints the owners may not have told the truth, especially if they had young children who stick things in slots.

11. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

12. Paul.Mc

Paul.Mc Agent

JVC and Panasonic were sued over the XV-501/701 and A110/310. (It's too late now to make a claim-and I owned one of each and never heard of the action. [​IMG] ). I experienced the pixellation and lockups with the 501 so much it's basically an unusable piece of junk. I'll probably never buy another Matsushita product again, even though I've been reasonably happy with their VCR's just because I'm so wary now.

As for the cars, my 1984 Dodge Aries "K" car will keep me out of Chrysler products for the rest of my life as well.

13. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Every mfg has a product they'd just as soon forget they ever put on the market.

I remember all the problems with those particular JVC and Panny players, and was hesitant about those brands.

I have owned a newer model JVC XVS-80BK for over a year with no hiccups at all, and currently have a Panny CP72 which has been trouble free for 7 months.

To swear off a brand forever based on bad experiences with a couple of early models is understandable but not necessarily logical.

We haven't seen legions of folks around here complaining of failed Pannys and JVCs of newer vintage around here, so I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

As for cars, my dad bought a lemon Ford back in 1947, swore off 'em forever, and my 32 years in the auto repair business indicates he was right to do so.

14. JerryK

JerryK Agent

So from these replies it would seem that JVC can be added to the huge list of people who experience problems playing All Region discs as with the dreaded H02 error from Panasonic. I have now experienced both. I guess it is safe to assume my DVD is not defective since it plays on other DVD players & a Playstation 2. Guess I'll try a Sony next time unless I hear otherwise by then. Thanks for the feedback.