What's new

problems buying Paramount / Legend DVD's from Best Buy? (1 Viewer)

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I trying to buy The Man Who Could Death and a few other films that were officially released on July 1. Either the executives at Paramount or at Legend have worked out some kind of exclusive deal with Best Buy that makes it impossible for customers to find these titles in brick and mortar outlets or buy them from on-line retailers. Who is responsible for this debacle? What's his or her name, and what's their office phone number?

Best Buy's website had the titles back-ordered a month ago, and if you check their website now, the titles are still back-ordered. There are three Best Buys within easy driving distance of where I'm at now. None of them stock the Legend releases. Amazon, Deep Discount, DVD Planet, and other online sellers don't stock them either.

Why is it impossible to buy an officially released DVD ? What does Legend / Paramount think they're doing?

Please post your experiences with Legend / Paramount and Best Buy here. Their name is in the thread. They may see it and catch on.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
I found several of the Legend titles at the DVD Planet brick-and-mortar store in Huntington Beach, California, including 'Villa Rides', 'Those Daring Young Men ...', 'Houdini' and 'The Optimists'.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Those are from the 1st wave of Paramount releases. I think Richard is referring to the second wave, released on July 1.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Someone at another board reported that their best buy has a seperate shelf for the Legend stuff at the end of one of the dvd rows.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
During lunch I ran out to the local Best Buy and picked up “The Man Who Could Cheat Death”, “The Deadly Bees” and “Phase IV.” I was surprised to see many of the other Paramount/Legend titles on the selves also.

While I hate exclusives, I can get over them if they actually do carry the titles.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Richard,

Hello. I used to shop at Best Buy many years ago. I haven't shopped there for years, and I don't plan ever to shop there again. I don't like their return policy, and I also don't like feeling like I'm in a prison when I am browsing their shelves. Beyond this, I can get things I purchase cheaper and with better service elsewhere. :)

As far as Paramount is concerned, they're not perfect. But I am thankful that they issued all of Trek, and I continue to purchase U.K. versions of some of those series without any complaints. :emoji_thumbsup:

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
As I posted in the Hell thread...

For the first time yesterday evening, I saw an endcap with approximately 16 of the Legend titles at a Best Buy in Rosenberg, TX. so perhaps the titles are finally being released nationwide.

The Man Who Could Cheat Death was one of the titles I purchased last night, along with Phase IV, The Possession of Joel Delaney, and Those Daring Young Men in Their Jaunty Jalopies.

Other titles on display included: The Deadly Bees, Almost an Angel, Framed, The Sender, Student Bodies, Mandingo, Some Kind of Hero, Houdini, The Skull, and others that elude me at the moment.

- Walter.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
This has been in a number of threads, but I suppose it bears repeating. The second wave (7/1/08) titles are exclusive to Best Buy. The catch is that they will only be stocked in test market stores and online. Frankly, there's no way I'm aware of to determine whether there's a test market store in your area other than to check the store availability for these titles. I was lucky enough to have one store in my region that stocked the second wave and picked up Phase IV and The Man Who Could Cheat Death. Presumably this was a test market store. No word on whether the second wave titles will see wider distribution. If no store in your region shows them as available, you presumably don't have a test market store in your area. In this case, you're stuck with the backordered online.

RoyM

Stunt Coordinator

Just to clarify, I'm pretty sure only the four horror titles (MAN, BEES, PHASE IV, SENDER) and FRAMED are Best Buy exclusives. Granted, those seem to be the most desirable titles for many people, so it probably doesn't alleviate any of the frustration. But the other second wave titles can be found at Amazon or other e-tailers.

I guess I was lucky and found (and bought) all of the horror titles at my nearby Best Buy on release day last week. Unfortunately, they didn't have DESPERATE CHARACTERS, which I also wanted, so I'm having to buy that one via online.

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
Here's how I found them:

1) Go to bestbuy.com
2) search for Phase IV (or any of the others)
3) click on that title
4) click on "Store Pickup: Available at most stores Select preferred store availability"
5) enter your zip code

It should return all best buy locations within some radius of your zip code. Any of the stores that have "Add To Cart" next to them obviously carry the titles.

I had to drive quite far to pick these up, but at least I knew ahead of time that they'd actually be there.

What a huge pain in the ass.

TonyDale

Second Unit
I took a chance and dropped into my local Best Buy today. Sure enough, there was an endcap with the second wave titles, marked BEST BUY EXCLUSIVE. Alas, no DESPERATE CHARACTERS, but did pick up MANDINGO, THOSE DARING YOUNG MEN and HOUDINI.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
can spmeone provide of list of all these wave 1 and 2 titles

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I think people are getting confused.

The only titles that are Best Buy exclusives are:

Framed
The Sender
The Deadly Bees
Phase IV
Man Who Could Cheat Death

All the other titles are available online everywhere!!

Here is a list of the Legend non-exclusive titles:

DVD Empire - List - Titles -

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I emailed Legend Films about the Best Buy exclusive controversy and recieved a reply stating that they have had many emails regarding this and that they are looking into the matter and that those who inquired about this matter will recieve an update soon.

I'll be sure to post the response as soon as I recieve it.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i think part of the confusion may be that in best buy they have a banner above the shelf listing what appears to be all the second set of these as best buy exclusive.

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
Well, I bought THE SKULL, not from Best Buy, but from DeepDiscountDVD...and the bloody thing was scratched and had a giant thumbprint on it. The disc was on the spindle, too...not loose. And still nicely shrinkwrapped with the sticky tapey thingy with the title on the top still intact. Nice quality control, Legend.

:frowning:

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
I had a clerk at a local Best Buy check stock. None of the stores in the St Louis metro area have them. Closest is in Jefferson City, 2.5 hours away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertigofilmfanman
Recent bookmarks