Problem

Discussion in 'Displays' started by JoeMasciantonio, Aug 27, 2003.

1. JoeMasciantonio

JoeMasciantonio Auditioning

I am looking to purchase an HDTV but when i went to comcast's website it says you need a HD-ready TV with a built in tuner. I thought ok no problem, well when i search for HD-ready tv's it says that those do not have a tuner built in, so my question is do i need to purchase TV with the built in tuner or not? The ones with the tuner built in are more expensive and harder to find . does anyone know wher i can find one around 34' and under $2000. I would call comcast and ask them al this but getting an answer from them on anything is always impossibe.

2. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

well if it doesn't have the tuner then you need to purchase one, they are usually $400 or so. I would assume if you are looking with ones without tuners you are looking at HDTV-upgradables. As for a TV I would just shop around. I'm not sure of any that are 34" exactly.

If you can accomodate a 48" inch this would be good to look at:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....oryId=cat03006

Also a 53".

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....oryId=cat03006

Both $1700 at Bestbuy and are both bigger than you are looking for but... the bigger the better!

3. David Abrams

David Abrams Stunt Coordinator

Joe,

This is a kind of funny situation. The term HDTV Ready meant that it was capable of handling and HDTV signal but would need some outside source to "tune" the channel in. This meant that HDTV Ready sets could display HDTV with an additional tuner purchase.

Comcast seems to be confusing this. Comcast will USUALLY provide HDTV subscribers with a tuner cable box for their set and you most likely will not need a built in tuner. If you have a built in tuner you could receive over the air HDTV (providing their is some in your area) by attaching an antena.

I would call Comcast up and see if they will provide a set top box for you. If they will then you do not really need to worry about purchasing a set with a built in tuner.

Regards,

4. JoeMasciantonio

Comcast does provide The box. Is there improved picture quality for non HD channels?

5. David Abrams

David Abrams Stunt Coordinator

Joe,

With the boxes that I have seen and used when you run the signal via component video there is an improvement on standard definition. Digital cable is compressed via MPEG which is a Component Video compression format; therefore, the best results are when you watch it via component video - usually.

Regards,

6. JoeMasciantonio

Those cables are the colored ones am i right?

7. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

Sorry for butting in but it is possible for a cable company to add an HDTV channel feed to analog cable (not digital) . This setup would allow you to operate the TV without a cable box if it had an internal ATSC tuner. That was part of the reason that HDTV uses the same (6 Mhz?) bandwidth as broadcast (NTSC) TV, but it's not compatible with the compression schemes that most cable companies use. Our local cable even manages to compress analog cable 4 to 1 , digital is 12 to 1 . It was reported quite a while back that some early adopters were surprised when their sets jumped to the HDTV feed of a PBS station that the cable company (in New Jersey I believe) had slipped in without telling anyone.

The question you need to ask Comcast is if the HDTV stations are in the analog stations (2-125) or the digital range (155+).