What's new

Problem with Yamaha RX-671 when adjusting volume (1 Viewer)

Jceelica2197

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
I have the Yamaha RX-671 that has been working fine until one day I turn it on and play a blu ray and I adjust the volume and then this comes up (attached) a box at the bottom of the screen with a bunch of colored lines. This only comes up when i switch to the blu ray player input and also when i just go to the Yamaha menu. Adjusting the volume works fine when watching regular TV.
When that colored box shows up there is no way to get rid of it until I turn of the blu ray player or the Receiver. So my question is what could be causing this? Should i send it in for repair? or is that not worth it and I should instead buy a new Receiver?

I called Panasonic thinking it might be the blu ray player, but the techs helped, and it turns out the blu ray player is working fine. So it is the yamaha reciever causing this. I also Replaced all the HDMI cables and still no luck fixing this. I also called Yamaha and they have not contacted me back yet.

RX-671 http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/rx-v671_black_u/

Attachments

• P1000557.JPG
    P1000557.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 69
  • P1000559.JPG
    P1000559.JPG
    153.6 KB · Views: 72

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
i would try another HDMI on the AVR to see if it replicated that way.

My only actual "guess" is the AVR is screwing up 24p with 30hz...but that doesn't even make sense.(under the assumption the volume bar/menu are both 30hz...maybe)

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
You could try resetting the receiver to its factory default setting, it might help, of course you will need to calibrate everything again afterwards since all settings will be lost, the way you do a factory reset is typed below.

Before you do any of that i would try another input ( for the blu ray player ) into the receiver, i also have a Panasonic blu ray player and a Yamaha AV Receiver and don't see this issue when i hook them up, do you have the blu ray player set up for 24p playback, it needs enabled in the menu's or outputs at 60hz.

If you can give me your settings and how things are connected up for the blu ray player and Yamaha receiver i would be willing to replicate these and test them out and then get back to you.
This erases all settings and returns the unit to its original factory settings. This is done from the front panel of the receiver only.
1. Set the unit to Standby by pressing the Power button.
2. While holding down the Straight button, press the Power button.
3. SP IMP. 8 Ohm Min (Or 6 ohm) will come up on the Front Panel.
4. Press the Right Program Arrow button repeatedly until INIT-CANCEL comes up.
5. Press the Straight Button repeatedly until INIT-ALL comes up.
6. Press the Standby button to turn off the receiver.
7. The next time the receiver is powered on, the factory settings will take effect.

Jceelica2197

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
I tried Resetting with your instructions, and it worked, Thanks a lot. I don't get those colored lines anymore when i adjust the volume. I looked at the blu ray setting and yes it was not set to 24p before. so i changed it but that didn't solve the problem until I reset the receiver. I don't know why it was working fine up until this point. Here are the Blu ray setting I have it on now (attached)
P1000575.JPG

P1000576.JPG

P1000577.JPG

P1000578.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks