problem with xbox cd drive?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by BradleyS., Jul 15, 2004.

Tags:
  1. BradleyS.

BradleyS. Stunt Coordinator

I have a launch xbox and I think the drive is going. I get quite alot of dirty disk errors and most of my games arent very scratched. They usually occur when a game is loading. My drive also revs real high, then slows down, then revs, and so on. This really doesnt happen on hard loading points either, its just sort of random. Does it sound like a bad drive?

2. Marc Bax

Marc Bax Second Unit

I'm betting you have the notoriously bad Thompson drive. Not much you can do outside of buying a Samsung (by far the best) drive off of Ebay and swapping them. Getting it fixed by Microsoft will run you almost as much as a new system, and often times you end up with another Thompson drive. This is a known problem and people have reported that they've managed to get the repairs at half price if they call and argue with Microsoft about them not fixing a known defect. Here's a link to a picture that'll tell you what drive you have, although I'm 99% sure it's the damn Thompson drive.

3. BradleyS.

link didnt work, but im probably guessing that its my drive? isnt this drive also known for scratching discs?

4. Marc Bax

Marc Bax Second Unit

Link works for me. It doesn't scratch the disc it's just a lousy drive that wears out quickly.

5. Marc Bax

Marc Bax Second Unit

[​IMG] See if this shows up for you.

6. BradleyS.

still doesnt show up. so are you entirely sure that it sounds like a bad drive or should I buy a disk dr. and test it out on my games? If that doesnt work I might as well buy a new xbox.

7. Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little Supporting Actor

rename the image .txt then link from angelfire and inside the IMG tags put that new name .txt

Geocities does the same thing, you can't link directly to an image.

8. Marc Bax

Marc Bax Second Unit

Ahh I don't know exactly what you mean about all that renaming stuff. Try this and if that doesn't work just go do a Google image search for, xbox thompson drive If you have the Thompson it can't hurt to call and yell at Microsoft and try and get a cheap repair.

9. BradleyS.

yep I have the thompson.[​IMG] So would they only repair my thompson drive, or would they switch it for a samsung? a samsung drive is 90 bucks, and how much do you think a repair would cost?

10. Marc Bax

Marc Bax Second Unit

Sadly there's no guarantee what Microsoft would do. I've heard of them putting in Samsung drives, but also heard of them just putting in refurbished Thompson drives. As for price Microsoft asks for $100 to repair the unit, although it is said you can get them down to $50 with some yelling. All I can say is make sure the next Xbox you get (if you go that route) has a Samsung drive...

P.S. I found a site selling all 3 drives, $59 for Thompson, $99 for Phillips, $149 (!!!!) for Samsung. How ridiculous.

11. Marc Bax

Marc Bax Second Unit

Here's a site dedicated soley to this issue. Some useful info here.