Problem with wire falling out of banana plugs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Thomas_Berg, Jul 27, 2001.

1. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    has anyone else had this problem? i stick my 14 gauge speaker wire into Radio Shack's flex banana pulgs and they will stay until the resistance on the wire makes them fall out. (or until i touch them or turn them upside down) is this normal?!? (i hope not) what kind should i buy? ($10 already to waste on 5 sets [​IMG])

2. PomingF

PomingF Second Unit

Exactly which type of RS banana plugs do you have. Last I checked they were charging $6 for a pair of gold plated ones which to me is of lower quality & design to the AR's I ended up buying from BestBuy for $9/2 pr.
    PF

3. PomingF

PomingF Second Unit

I see the picture of the plug's outside but can't tell what machanism is used to connect the wire & the plug. The RS plugs I mentioned are great for the price with them being gold plated, the screw down mounting design & color coded rubber boots.
    PF

4. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    i really dont care about gold plating as i wont tell the quality and my speakers arent too good (for college). i think you're just supposed to stick the wire in and hope it stays on. can you recommend a model # for me instead please?

5. JerryHatchett

JerryHatchett Stunt Coordinator

You sure those aren't solder-joint plugs? If so, they're sure gonna fall off without the hot stuff.

6. PomingF

PomingF Second Unit

I believe RS also carries another type of non gold plated solderless banana plugs with the hard plastic screw on cover. With those you thread the wire bundle up the cylinder till they come out of a hole @ the end and screw on a small metal cap to lock the wires in place. I was using those until I found the others. May be the ones you have are supposed to be soldered and without it sure the wires will fall out. Try # 274-721, according to my old RS catalog they supposed to cost ($1.59/pr) less than the ones you have. Good luck & keep your chin up for I was a student once as well. [​IMG]
    PF

7. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Thomas: Any of the bananas that you may decide to use, Radio Shack or not, will require either soldering, crimping, or some kind of screw-down friction fit. I'm not aware of any that you just push the wire into and it makes a permanent connection.
    Since many of these bananas don't come with any instructions, if you can describe what is inside of the plastic insulator, we may be able to help you with how these connectors are meant to be attached. (IMO, I wouldn't buy any additional bananas unless you find out that you bought solder or crimp style and don't want to solder them or buy a crimping tool.)
    ------------------

8. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

why don't you take your plugs and cable to radio shack and ask them what's going on...it may well require soldering and if so, they just might do it for you

9. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Thomas,
    Judging from the picture on the link, I’d say this banana is supposed to be used for the probes on a volt-ohm meter. Typically those are for very small gauge wire (i.e., 20 ga.) and are meant to be soldered.
    What you want to use for speaker wire are bananas like this or this .
    If you want to use single, not dual-ganged bananas, use this .
    All these bananas use screw-down terminations, and are available in black or red.
    Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt
    [Edited last by Wayne A. Pflughaupt on July 28, 2001 at 11:18 AM]