What's new

Problem with video output on Samsung HD931 (1 Viewer)

Wes_G

Auditioning
The video output on my Samsung HD931 is shifted to the left about 1-2 inches. I think I heard others say they had the same problem, anyone? Is there a fix for it? If I change it to DVI mode B it's even worse. My TV is a Philips 60PW9383 if it matters.

Thanks for any advice. I don't want to take it back (since there's not really any alternatives for 1080i), but it's getting really annoying.

Wes_G

Auditioning
12 views and no replies yet :frowning:

Can anyone at least let me know how to get into the service menu so I can see if ther eis a way to adjust the geometry of the DVD player?

John S

Senior HTF Member
Does it do it on component video 480p/1080i also?
I would venture to guess, that you have no other DVI device to try with it huh?

I almost went with this set, because it had DVI, but in the end went with a Philips thqat does not offer it.

Not to much Philips DVI connecting going on here on this forum. So you may be the one to figure it out for others.

Wes_G

Auditioning
I found my answer I think from searching through the Samsung forum on hometheaterspot:

(www) hometheaterspot (dot) com/htsthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=528498&page=4&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=31&fpart=1

Some people there describe the exact same problem and say they had firmware sent to them which corrected the problem with mixed results. This, apparently is the reason for the mode A/B settings on the 931. I will try calling Samsung today after work to see if I can get firmware to fix this, but I wonder if anyone posts here who has already gotten the firmware from them and can upload the files. Reason being I want to see if the firmware will fix it while my 30 day return guarantee is still good.

edit: better link here
(www)hometheaterspot(dot)com/htsthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=537958&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=31&fpart=1

John S

Senior HTF Member
I do seem to remember something about a firmware update on this player solving a few issues with it.

You surely wouldn't want to go tweaking your set of it is the player causing it. Thanks for the postback on it.

So aside from this...

How do you like your new Philips? Mine is going on two months old, and I'm still very pleased with it. I got the 60PP9202.

I do a lot of HD and DVD, and a fair amount of SD and LD.
So far my VHS stuff is two harsh to bare on it though.. lol
I need to experiement more with the VHS stuff though.

Danny Beck

Stunt Coordinator
If your going to buy a Samsung HD931 make sure it's a newer model. You can tell the new ones from the old ones because the new ones have the DVI cable included. It's clearly marked on the box in yellow. So, look for it. They seems to be the newest models with the newest firmware.

Dan

Wes_G

Auditioning
I didn't want to mess with the TV, but I really wish I had access to the service menu for the DVD player right about now.

Regarding the TV I have had no problems with DVD playback or regular TV viewing. As a matter of fact I am thoroughly impressed with all the settings and calibration options it includes.

The only major issue I have with it is with VHS tapes. The bottom 1/4 of the screen will flicker when you are watching a VHS tape. It's as if there isn't enough light on the bottom half, like it's not being fully projected on the screen. This problem will vary depending on the VHS tape as well, some (especially newer tapes) are hardly noticeable, some are hardly even worth watching. I don't know if this is a problem with the tubes, but it is definitely not a problem with my VHS player, as I have tried multiple VHS players with the same effect. Since I am abandoning my VHS collection I see no real reason on having it serviced. Plus, I bought it direct from Philips through mail order, so returning it or having it serviced would be very inconveinent.

edit: also note, this flicker only happens with hollywood movies, if you record a program using a VHS and watch it later the screen is perfect. Odd...

All in all, 10/10 stars (even with the VHS issue).

Wes_G

Auditioning
note: mine was the older model I suppose as it did not include the DVI cable. I bought it recently from Best Buy.

Danny Beck

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I recently went to Best Buy to pick up an HD931 for a test drive. :) I noticed that out of the 10 boxes they had out, only 3 of them had the DVI cable included. So, I picked up one of those. I tried it out for a couple days and returned it. I liked the picture clarity but I just felt the DVI players are not quite right yet.

I've got my fingers crossed for that new Panasonic model that is coming out in April.

Danny

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks