1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Problem with Velodyne HGS-15 powered sub

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Pacattack, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Pacattack

Pacattack Auditioning

Charles
    In the beginning, it was making a loud buzzing, or fluttering sound that could be affected by tapping on the cone which lead us to believe it was the accelerometer. Since then, we have removed it. How can I replace this part?

2. Dave Upton

Dave Upton Audiophile
    Owner

Dave Upton
    A fluttering sound likely means the driver is blown. You will need to contact Velodyne to see if they will sell you a new driver assembly. It should be fairly easy to replace, you just remove screws to pull out the old one.

3. Pacattack

Pacattack Auditioning

Charles
    Hi Dave. The driver tests fine. After reading abut these, you'll notice the HGS series having alot of problems with the accellerometerr. When it fails, it cannot limit the distance of travel forward or back causing it to stutter.

4. Dave Upton

Dave Upton Audiophile
    Owner

Dave Upton
    Have you contacted Velodyne about parts? It's likely they stock what you need.

5. Pacattack

Pacattack Auditioning

Charles
    That's the problem. You'll read alot about this too, they no longer support, or carry the accelerometer and they won't give anyone schematics either.

6. Dave Upton

Dave Upton Audiophile
    Owner

Dave Upton
    The only suggestion I can offer in that case is to pull out the accelerometer and try to see who the OEM is. They might be able to get a similar device for you. Beyond that, you might be stuck.

7. Pacattack

Pacattack Auditioning

Charles
    Already pulled. Nothing but epoxy or some extremely hard resin. No identification. There's a guy in jersey that bypasses that but I'm looking at around $300.

8. Dave Upton

Dave Upton Audiophile
    Owner

Dave Upton
    Sorry to hear that Charles - don't think we can suggest anything else at this point. This is one of the reasons I avoid Velodyne products, they just aren't easy to repair as they age, while an old SVS, Seaton or PowerSound sub will always be repairable.

9. Pacattack

Pacattack Auditioning

Charles
    I'll probably end up sending it off to the guy in jersey and let him work on it. Only reason I got it was because it came with the home theater I bought.

10. theJman

theJman Stunt Coordinator

Jim
    Repairing an HGS-15 is likely not the best choice as that unit is probably 10+ years old. The life expectancy of a high quality subwoofer is just about that - a decade - so it may be better to simply cut your loses and replace it with something more current.