Problem with Toshiba 27AFX54

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Adam E.L., Sep 20, 2006.

1. Adam E.L.

Adam E.L. Auditioning

Hopefully someone can help me. I've had my toshiba for a little over two years. Over the last couple of months when I turn the tv on I get a greyish shading over the entire screen with white horizontal lines all over the screen. This stays like this for an increasing amount of time (started doing it for only a few minutes, now it lasts a half hour), then flicks off and the picture is normal. This only happens after the tv has been off for a time. If the tv stays on or is turned off briefly it doesn't happen. Its almost as if the tv needs to warm up before the grey shading and lines disappear.

Is this fixable somehow? Is the tv dying a slow painful death? I was hoping this tv would be my last CRT TV. Any help whatsoever would be appreciated.

2. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

I have seen this happen before on a Toshiba CRT. I believe it is the power supply, though someone correct me if I am in error here, but I am pretty sure that is what your problem is. The picture will appear gray with nearly horizontal lines in a much brighter gray, correct?

I am not certain if Toshiba just put inadequate power supplies in their tv's a few years ago, but it has happened on more than one account. Is the tv a Cinema Series?

3. Adam E.L.

Adam E.L. Auditioning

Yeah you're pretty much correct with the description. It is a Cinema Series. If it is the power supply, is this an easy and relatively inexpensive fix? If not and I have to buy another tv, is this a common problem with Toshiba's and should I stay away? I love the picture when this isn't happening and when I bought the tv I researched and found that Toshiba's are one of the best.

4. Alon Goldberg

Alon Goldberg Screenwriter

Toshiba has gone downhill in 2006.. CRT and plasma production has been outsourced to Orion (Sansui) in Thailand, and quality has gone down dramatically. Their LCD's are being manufactured in Mexico.

Also, here in Canada, the big box retailers (Best Buy and FutureShop) have pulled all Toshiba DLP's in the past month as 1 in 3 were being returned for malfunctions.