Problem with the optical in on my Onkyo

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Ben Radlinski, Aug 26, 2004.

1. Ben Radlinski

Ben Radlinski Auditioning

I have had this Onkyo TX-DS777 receiver for a few years now, and it's always run pretty rock solid. However, whenever I use the optical digital in ports, I experience the same problem: After about a days worth of use, the next day, I fire up the reciever and I don't get any sound from the source. If I unplug the cable at the Onkyo and then plug it back in, I get sound and it works for the rest of the evening. Then the same thing happens again the next day. I've swapped out a few different cables, and I still get the same thing. Any ideas on what this might be? The different sources have included a Sony CD player, a Sony DVD player, a JVC DVD player, and a Toshiba DVD player. It's happened for as long as I've owned the unit which was purchased new.

Thanks.

2. Rob Kramer

Rob Kramer Second Unit

Since it happens at each power-up, I would say that your input is set-up for another source.

Example - I set my DVD input (in the settings menu) to the digital coax source #1. When I power up (or when I switch to DVD from another cource), the receiver switches to the #1 coax input.

By re-plugging in the cable you are probably triggering the receiver's auto detect mode, which then changes it to the optical source.

3. Ben Radlinski

I thought that might be the case, but I've checked the settings and it's set up correctly. More specifically, it will sometime work at first, and then cut out, come back in, then cut out. If I unplug and plug, it works fine after that.

4. Rob Kramer

Rob Kramer Second Unit

OK

How about if you switch to digital coax.

5. Ben Radlinski

I'm already using both coax inputs. My HD Cable box only has an optical out.