What's new

Problem with "The Apostle" DVD (1 Viewer)

Randy Lane

Auditioning
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I recently tried to play my DVD of "The Apostle" (Robert Duvall) on my Sony 725 player. When I closed the tray, I got a message that said "Cannot Play". I checked the disc for scratches and dust, but it was clean. I tried again and got the same message. I then put it in a JVC machine and it played fine. This same disc played on an old Sony player I had a few years ago. It is not a burned copy but an original, region 1 release from Universal. Why won't the 725 read it? (All my other DVD's play without a problem on this same machine).

Craig

StevenFC

Second Unit
There must be something about the way "The Apostle" DVD was manufactured because my copy, which I subsequently sold, was not anamorphic like it said on the package. It seems that it's not that uncommon for certain DVDs to not play well or not at all in certain players.

Frank@N

Screenwriter

On a side note, I've seen some copies that have slightly different packaging (back).

In fine print, some say '16x9 enhanced'.

I was tempted to buy one, but I'm fairly sure it's an error.

StevenFC

Second Unit

I never thought of that. That's kind of disappointing if it's true. It was a fairly successful movie--certainly one worthy of 16x9.

One wonders.....

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Really? It was fairly successful? I'd never even heard of it when I bought the DVD on release date, though I ended up liking it immensely.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
In reference to Randy's post, I'm glad the disc still works in at least one of your machines.

In reference to the movie, it's one of the best in my collection.

In reference to the DVD, it's one the worst in my collection.

Fairly sure the 16x9 copies are labeled in error, not sure if they're old copies or new printings.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks