problem with technics cd changer

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Phillip_K, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Phillip_K

Phillip_K Agent

Hello all,

I just purchased a 5 disk technics cd player from ebay model number SLPD887. I hook it up to my technics amplifier, rcas and plug, and it powers on fine. One problem: when I hit open tray, the tray ejects about an inch, stays in that position for 8 seconds, then goes back to the unopened position. He claimed in the auction it "works flawlessly" and his feedback is untarnished.

Any remedies for this problem? The seller took five days to reply to my last email, and I wouldnt doubt him taking a long time this time. Could the tray be "locked"?

Any specifics you need I'll be glad to inform you.

...I just checked the auction and he is no longer a registered user, maybe thats a tip-off...

2. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

Not good if you wanted to return the unit since eBay won't be much help!

If you paid via PayPal, you could "File a Claim: Dispute a purchase you made using PayPal" since it's defective and the eBay DESC was bogus. (keep a copy of that eBay auction webpage)

If you paid via money order or check, then your only option would be to have it repaired or chalk it up to an eBay bad experience.

Hope this helps,
    Phil

3. Morgan_

Morgan_ Stunt Coordinator

Sounds like they left cd/cds inside, I have one of those changers also, and I remembered when I moved it one time, if you have cds in there, you'll hear them falling all over the place when you tilt the darn thing. I believe there are 2 screws on each side, and it's a wrap around case cover, remove it and retrieve cds.

4. Phillip_K

Phillip_K Agent

I appreciate everyones help. Last night I ended up pulling on the sucker with enough force to make the motor move the tray out. I did that a few times again after it continued to get "stuck" after I closed it again. I also "blew" all the dust or whatever was on the cd tray off.

Now it works perfectly.

5. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

Phillip,
    I have an older Technics changer and I know on the bottom of mine there are three screws with plastic "clips' that you screw in for transporting, but take out for using.
    I know you said you got it to work, but you might wanna check anyway to see if your has them. They look a bit outta place so you should see them easily.

Enjoy you player, I still love mine.
    Chris

6. Phillip_K

Phillip_K Agent

Chris,

Yeah I'll be checking it to see just in case.

Technics makes such a well made product. The addition of the CD player to our old school amplifier, tape player, and tuner (all technics) is just great...I hope my dad likes it when he sees it tonight.

Thanks
    Phil

7. Phillip_K

Phillip_K Agent

Yeah well now it doesnt want to eject again. It worked fine the entire day yesterday.

Do you think I should lubricate the gears that eject the CD tray? I'm hearing a creaking noise, sounds like they are getting stuck. I opened the cover to check for any obtructions, I didnt see any but I am going to check again to make sure.

Chris, I was unable to see the three distinct plastic screws on the bottom of the changer, I think they were taken out.

I think Technics was bought out by Panasonic (?) or some other company, as they specialize in only selling pianos now and the website states "Panasonic" on the top left corner.

I'm going to continue to try to see if I could do anything that would make it work (that wouldnt potentially break it).

Thanks
    Phil

8. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

A little curious here as to why this was posted in the Speakers/Subs area. It is now, obviously, located in the correct section.