Problem with System. Not enough house power

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Mike Bassi, Feb 7, 2004.

1. Mike Bassi

Mike Bassi Stunt Coordinator

Ok, I have a problem with my house wiring. When the bass goes off the lights dim, and there is no way to fix this. The way the house was built 27 years ago is that it has a slab foundation and vaulted celings. Now I'm an electrical contractor, but there is no way to correct this problem. Now what I need is something that I can plug my woofer into that would suck so much power away from any lighting in the house. The woofer is a 10 inch Sunfire Sub with 2700 watts.

Thanks in advance
    Mike

2. George_W_K

George_W_K Screenwriter

George
    Maybe your circuits aren't balanced well at the panel. Use your clamp-on amp meter and check the amperage on each breaker. Maybe you can switch a couple of circuits around to different breakers to balance the load on each phase properly.

There aren't any access points at all to your wiring? No crawl space? Is the entire house a vaulted ceiling, or do you have an attic somewhere?

Does the same thing happen, no matter which receptacle you use? The receptacle you are currently using may be connected to too many other loads. I had that problem in my room. One of the receptacles was connected to the same circuit as my HT equipment. I plugged my vacuum in and the circuit would always trip. I just use a different plug.

Did you do the wiring in your house since you're an electrical contractor? I am just wondering if it would be easier for you to have some recollection of what is wired to what. Although if you can remember something you wired 27 years ago, more power to ya![​IMG]

Those are the only suggestions I can think of right now. I don't know of any equipment that is available for your problem, so hopefully someone else can jump in.

Hope I helped somewhat,
    George

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Mike,

You can’t run a dedicated circuit from the panel? Sounds to me like an amperage problem – a dedicated circuit with 12ga. wire should take care of it; 10ga. wire worse-case.

If not the only solution to the problem I know of is something like this:

http://www.furmansound.com/pro/reg/reg1.htm

It delivers a steady 120 volts from inputs as low as 97 volts.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. Mike_Skeway

Mike_Skeway Second Unit

I would think you could add a dedicated circuit. Or as suggested earlier move some circuits around to different breakers. As an electrical contractor, you should be able to do this no problem.

5. Mike Bassi

Hey guys, thanks for your input. Ok, the way this house was wired was that one of the receptacles was wired from the TV area to the Sub woofer area to the lighting in the entry way, to some lighting upstairs. Yes both 1st and second stories are vaulted ceilings, and the only attic is in the second story totally away from the problem area. You cannot go down, and or up, unless I wanted to rip out 100 feet of drywall, and I really can't do that for 2 new circuits. That circuit is running a bunch of lights and plugs downstairs. I traced it out and didn't like what I found out. It was 12 gauge wire, but there is nothing I can do. If there was, I would know. I was not sure if something like the AVS monster cable built power AVS 2000 would help with something like this? Whatever contractor came and built these houses 30 years ago didn't have any idea about running power and lighting away from each other. They do it now, but they didn't do it then. What do you guys think?

Thanks again
    Mike

6. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    The Monstor should do the job, but I think you‘ll find the Furman to be cheaper Furman’s a highly respected pro audio brand in this field.

Regards,
    Wayne Pflughaupt

7. Mike Bassi

What is a furman? Do they have a website?

Thanks again
    Mike

8. Mike_Skeway

Mike_Skeway Second Unit

9. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Mike, I put a link to a Furman stabilizer in my first post.

Regards,
    Wayne Pflughaupt

10. Mike Bassi

Thank you for the link, and thanks for the help guys. Which one on the page is it?

Thanks again
    Mike

11. Mike_Skeway

Mike_Skeway Second Unit

Ah, what do you know, I read it, and missed it all at the same time. [​IMG] [​IMG]