Problem with speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by mubashir, Jan 14, 2002.

1. mubashir

mubashir Agent

I own a Sony STR-DB1070 and a set of high power speakers.The power handling and sensitivity of these speakers are as below

Fronts : 300 Watts 91db

Center : 200 Watts 89db

Rear : 150 Watts 89db

Yesterday I pushed the volume to -30 in dts mode for star wars:The phantom menance and the bass was marvelous.But then near the end of the pod race scene I could here some rattling sound coming from the fronts when ever the bass would kick in.It is hard to believe that the Sony could damage these speakers since it outputs only 31 Watts when all 5 channels are used(Sound and Vision Mag).For your information I used to have low power speakers from JBL but those got fried up after 2 days of use with this reciever.Please advise if this is a problem with the reciever or the speakers.I do not own a subwoofer yet so all bass is output from the mains.

2. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

It sounds like your underpowering your speakers. Your amp is probably clipping(distorting). 31 watts from a Sony DB? What is it's advertised rating? I've never heard of anyone frying JBL's.

I would get a powered subwoofer and set all your speakers to small and let the sub handle all the lower frequencies.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I don't understand what you mean by "high power speakers" That has little or no relevance, as that is only a PEAK max rating. If you send distortion to the speakers by clipping the amp, you could easily fry any speaker.

If it's not doing it anymore, it may just be that the amp was overheating and could no longer deliver full current after running hard for the whole scene. If it's still doing it, you may have damaged the speakers.

4. joe logston

joe logston Stunt Coordinator

your amp clips because not enough power, clipping is distoration and your tweeters in your speakers cant take no distorationat all. dont trun your amp up pass half way or or before it clips you can tell by if the sound starts to get bad then trun it back.you got to be careful, i would buy new receiver that haves at least 100w into all channels if you like to play it loud. thank you, joe

5. mubashir

mubashir Agent

The advertised power of the STR-DB1070 is 100 X 6 Watts.I check my speakers yesterday by playing Star Wars , Jurassic Park 3 and Braveheart(OST).When it produced bass around the 20 to 30HZ there was no problem since the mains have a 12' built in subwoofer .But when it played bass around 30-40 HZ range i could here the rattling sound comming from the biggest of the four speakers in the main due to too much movement of that speaker.It was shaking like hell.I'm sure it is only up to 40HZ since when I set the main to small and set the cutoff frequency to 40HZ the sound was gone.For now, I have solved the rattling by setting the bass to -5db using the built in equilizer of the reciever.I'm just worried that the speaker are already damage and want it repaired or replaced.I dont think the speaker are under powered since before I bought them I took my reciever to the shop to test it out for compatability and the guys there thought it sounded perfect even better than the Yamaha's sold there.Please help and thanks for the replys.

6. Sean Conklin

Well if you have your mains set to LARGE, they are receiving LFE. Some LFE tracks are very low and very aggressive. Even some good powered SUBWOOFERS can have difficulty handling an extreme LFE track such as SW.

Do your speakers have built in powered subwoofers? Or are they just towers with 12" woofers?

Either way I would set all speakers to SMALL and get a seperate powered subwoofer and let it handle the LFE.

Some LFE is just dangerous to play loudly on speakers not designed to handle LFE.

7. mubashir

mubashir Agent

I don't think it due to the LFEs since when it is playing those there is no ratting sound coming out.The sound only seems to come out from the smaller speaker during bass production around the 30HZ - 40HZ range.I am going to buy a separate subwoofer but just don't want to get stuck with these damaged towers(if they are damaged).If they are damaged I might be able to get a new set but am worried the same thing might happen to the new sets.It is not a powered woofer just woofers inside the towers.The LFEs produced by the towers are quit good.I borrowed my uncle's low end active subwoofer last week and they were on par with the tower's built in woofer.

8. Sean Conklin

Well LFE information contains frequencies well over 100hz.

The speakers crossover may be trying to send LFE info to your mid range drivers. Your woofers may be handling the 30-40hz(I have doubts about most tower woofers reproducing anything under 40hz with any kind of significant db), but maybe your midranges are being over loaded. Does this problem go away if you set your speakers to small?

9. mubashir

mubashir Agent

YES...the problem does go away when I set them to small.The sony reciever standard(STD) crossover when the speakers are set to small is 120Hz but it allows for 10Hz decrement down to 40Hz.Even if I set the speaker to small with the crossover set to 40Hz there is no problem.The problem only persists when I set the fronts to large and the rattling comes from the mids due to too much movement of those speakers during higher frequency LFEs(30 - 40 Hz).If I set the speaker to small means that I will also lose the low LFEs which the 12' built woofer has no problem driving.I want to buy a subwoofer but this problem has made me too upset to upgrade.I'm also reluctant to send them in for repair since i'm afraid I won't be able to live without my system for more than a week especially with the current problems in my life.Please help.[​IMG]

10. Sean Conklin

There's nothing we can really do for you. The Sony speakers do not like to be set on LARGE, They are probably not defective, their just not made to handle LFE info.

They would probably sound wonderful set to SMALL and get yourself a powered subwoofer.

Getting a powered subwoofer will take a lot of stress off of your amp, and allow it to perform better and allow your speakers to sound better.

11. mubashir

mubashir Agent

The guys from the spekaer company came to inspect the speakers.At first they tried to bywire them.They told me by bywiring them the low frequency signal could go straight to the built in subwoofer rather than going through the mid-bass first.It reduced the rattling but it was still there.After that they said that I probably pushed the speaker too hard causing it to "overload".They said they could not fixe the problem and might try to get me a replacment but asked me to promise that I won't push the new ones too hard.I said I would try to get a subwoofer as soon as possible.Hope I get a replacement.Is it true what they told me about the bywiring?

12. Sean Conklin

13. mubashir

mubashir Agent

yes...there are two sets of connection to the reciever at the back but only for the front speaker.The center and surround speaker only have one pair of connector.Just hope I can get a replacement or an upgrade for the fronts.The guys from the speaker company think my reciever it to powerful fot these speaker.I have no idea what they are talking about.Today I saw speakers 1/3 the price of mine with only 150 W peak power handling being cranked up until the whole street could hear them without any problem.It might just be hard to find matching speakers for sony recievers.

14. Sean Conklin

15. mubashir

mubashir Agent

The whole purpose that I bought these front speaker was for their built in subs.I was trying to avoid buying a separate subwoofer since I live in a flat and didn't want to disturbe my neighbours too much.I thought by buying a tower with built in subs would give me descent bass while not having the neighbours knocking at my door.Now I feel if I do get a separate active subwoofer I should have gotten normal fronts in the first place.I have my eye now at the Sony's Sony SAWM40 subwoofer but was enable to find it in Malaysia.My brother is in Connecticut right now and was wondering how much would it cost to send it here from US.Or if any of you guys know any online retailers that ship overseas.

16. Sean Conklin

Don't worry, I think you will be most pleased if you keep your mains, set them to SMALL and get the SAWM40. You can always turn the SAWM40 down if it bothers the neighbors.

Try Crutchfield they may send oversea's.

17. mubashir

mubashir Agent

A second guy from the speaker company came and diagnosed the problem and from his opinion thinks that I blew up my bid-bass speaker drivers.He said I should try to upgrade my speakers from the 6 inch mains with the 8 inch.I might need to add a few hundred.So I don't know weather to get the upgrade or use the money to buy a separate subwoofer and keep my current speakers.One thing I'm afraid of is the speaker might have blew up from clipping and not high volumes.So getting larger speaker might make the problem worse.Help please!!!!

18. mubashir

mubashir Agent

OK guys....first my speaker have been repaired and they sound great.I tried them with the star wars dvd and there was no more rattling sound.After I went and bought the Final Fantasy DVD and there was some rattling sound from the mains.I tried back theStarWars and there was no rattling so I'm sure I didn't blow up my mains.So what I finally did was bought the Sony SA-WM40 subwoofer.So now there is no more rattling sound , my reciever runs cooler now and the music sounds better but still not great.My problem now is according from what I read here in this forum is to set the front speakers to small but when I tried this the bass sounded worse than when I didn't have the subwoofer.But when I set it to large....waaah...its like in haven.....There is some improvement than having no subwoofer at all.So just like some feedback from what you guys think from this situation.Anyone of you guys set their main to large and let the subwoofer handle only the LFEs...

19. Bob Christensen

Bob Christensen Stunt Coordinator

Yes, you certainly CAN set your mains to "large" and run your sub too (set sub to "both"). That is what I am doing with my Klipsch RF3II's. I have them biwired and "augment" them with an SVS sub, and they sound great. I tried setting them to small, and they sounded OK that way, too, but I like the results set to large better, especially in DD movies. For tunes, I turn the sub WAY down. But my 15 year old son likes it up high when he plays tunes for his friends, who invariably go away with their jaws dropping.

Be aware that most fried speakers are the result of overworked, underpowered amps, rather than high powered amps. My suggestion is to get a better amp/receiver.

20. Lisa Menin

Lisa Menin Agent

I have a neophyte question which may fit in this thread. I just replaced old speakers with B&W 303s (fronts and rears) and the LCR3 for the center. I am running them with a Denon 1601 receiver. This is a bedroom setup so the room isn't huge. I am not using a sub since I live in an apartment and do not want to disturb the neighbors.

I set all of the speakers to "Large" and indicated that I don't have a sub. Is this the correct setting? With the volume set at a low to medium setting, I can definitely sense a vibration or shaking in parts of the room - specifically, the viewing chair which is in the sweet spot.

Would this shaking go away if I set the speakers to "Small"? Is it dangerous to the speakers?

Thanks...

Lisa