Problem with speakers near my 50H81?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon Sotelo, Oct 13, 2001.

1. Jon Sotelo

Jon Sotelo Auditioning

Okay as some of you may know I took the plunge and ordered the 50H81. My question is I have some of the Rat Shack Optimus LX-10 tower speakers, don't laugh they sound decent. Anyway these speakers are not shielded and how safe would it be to put them up against the side of the TV?
    Are rear projections affected the same way by magnets as tubes?
    If it isn't safe how far away should I keep them? I might have a space problem if this is the case :-(

2. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Supporting Actor

Rear projection sets are not quite as susceptible to magnetic interference from unshielded speakers as direct views, at least not in the same way.
    In a direct view, the bulk of the inside of the set is in fact the CRT, which is the part that is affected by the magnetic field. Placing an unshielded loudspeaker close to a direct view set is asking for trouble.
    A rear projector is a bit different, however. There are three CRTs in a rear projector, but they are located in the lower forward section of the TV. Looking at the face of an RPTV, the CRTs are to be found centered, just under the bottom of the front screen. This means that there is quite a bit of distance from the edge of the RPTV box and the CRT itself.
    With RPTVs, the concern is not so much with unshielded speakers sitting aside the TV, but rather unshielded speakers (subs) sitting close to the front of the TV.
    To be safe, I wouldn't place your speakers right against the TV, but you should be ok with 1/2-1 foot distance in between.
    ----
    Jeff
    ------------------
    "They're coming to get you Barbara..."

3. Jon Sotelo

Jon Sotelo Auditioning

Thank you, I should have about 6 inches on either side of the TV if I move things around so I hope that does it!