What's new

Problem with Sony WEGA KV32FS13 (1 Viewer)

Ed_Y

Auditioning
I've had this TV for about a month now and have noticed that the top third of the screen is slightly darker than the botton two thirds (no matter what source I use - DVD, satellite or VCR). It's like the top part of the screen is tinted. This is most apparent on scenes with a lighter/brighter background. It is not noticeable in dark scenes or ones with alot of action/colors. I'll also see it when there is a vertical panning of the camera angle - eg. following a golf shot in the air.
I contacted an authorized Sony TV tech and he could see the problem too. However he stated that it is a design flaw with the tube and nothing could be done about it.
Has anybody else noticed this problem? Can it be fixed?
Any advice would be appreciated.

JasonRH

Second Unit
I have the exact same problem with my XBR-450. Mine, however, is a vertical strip on the right edge of the screen. Sony reps told me the same bs about that being inherent in the design and not being able to be fixed. Funny I have seen other wegas that show very little of this effect - at least not enough to distract your viewing. You have three options
1)exchange the set and see if the new one is more tolerable
2)try another model (not wega) all together
3)accept that the problem will be exhibited to some degree in most sets and live with it.
Personally, I would try another wega first, most shouldn't be as extreme as the one you have. Good luck.

Ed_Y

Auditioning
Thanks for the advice.
I've noticed the problem on a couple of display models in the store as well. Based on the posts in this forum, there seem to be various other possible problems associated with the Wegas. I think I'll see if I can exchange it for another and take my chances that other bigger problems don't show up on the replacement.

SamE

Auditioning
I had last years KV-36VF12 and it too had these problems. There was also a grounding issue as well. My cable was connected with S-Video and DVD with Component. When watching component DVD, there would be a white scrolling bar line from right to left. This only happened when there was a S-Video feed from either a cable box or camcorder in another input. When I would unplug any S-video sources when watching component DVD, the white scrolling bar line went away. The TV was sent in for service. After I got it back (4 weeks later) the picture was purple looking at there was diagonal red lines. Because of this they switched it out for another new 36FS12. The original problems was still there. I just got it traded out for the Panasonic CT-36HX41 about 6 weeks ago. This TV has none of the problems that the 36FS12 had. However the picture is a little bit to red depending on which channel I am watching, and there is also a slight bending of horz lines at the bottom left. This is only seen during scrolling text like on MSNBC, CNN, Stock shows. Some people give the Panasonics a bad reputation, but I think for the price and performance that it is better than the Sony. I had to pay the difference in price between the 36FS12 and 36HX41 which was $650. I was never charged any delivery charges except the original $65 delivery charge when I first bought the 36FS12. This was because I bought the 5-years warrantee. It was purchased at Sound Advice, FL.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks