What's new

Problem with Sony TV... (1 Viewer)

Ten Hearts

Auditioning
Real Name
Sara
Hello!

I recently purchased a 42" Sony Bravia LCD TV. I'm having this problem with it that I just can't figure out.

When I play video games on it, the dark areas in the game are so dark that there's no detail. This makes playing games that are predominantly dark, like my poor Silent Hill games, nearly impossible. I've adjusted the brightness, which only makes the lighter areas lighter, and every other setting that I could find: gamma, black corrector, backlight, etc. There's just no option that lightens up these dark areas.

I have two versions of Silent Hill 2: one for Xbox and the other for PS2. The Xbox version is, oddly enough, actually playable. The darkness problem is still there, but it's not nearly as bad as it is on the PS2 version. Yet, the PS2 version works fine on the other non-LCD TVs in my house. No idea why...

I'm really stumped on this one! Sony's tech support told me that it's my PS2 and Gamecube that have the problem, but if that's the case... why would they work fine on other TVs? So I decided to try my luck in this forum. Any help is extremely appreciated. Thanks!

Brandon Pop

Stunt Coordinator
It's been said time and time again that LCD's are the worst sets in the blacks level department, that is the amount of range and detail you will see in black or very dark areas.

I don't know if it's unfixable from a settings standpoint but it may just be the way your monitor displays those black levels.

Which model is it the Bravia 1 or 2?

Ten Hearts

Auditioning
Real Name
Sara
It's a 2.

Dark DVDs are fine. Dark shows seem a little off, but not nearly as off as the games.

Brandon Pop

Stunt Coordinator
If its not a problem with DVD's and is only happening to specific games, dont you think it's just the way the game was made? Its hard to say without actually seeing it myself but I'd imagine that viewing SD content (gamecube and PS2) on full rez 1080p monitor would display the deficiencies of SD. Those games werent made with the intention of them being viewed 1980x1080 would be my best answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks