problem with SONY STR-DE875

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by JustinN, Sep 5, 2003.

1. JustinN

JustinN Auditioning

hey i was just wondering if anyone else out there had a this same model, i have a problem with it, im not sure what it is but here's the prob, when im listening to a cd or watching a movie, i can turn it up to like 33, then if i turn it up any higher than that it doesnt get any louder, the unit itself goes up to 48 or something i think, but it stops getting louder at 33, now i only have 2 speakers, and they are not that big, about 25 inches tall, so is it because of the speakers? or does this unit itself only go to 33 then stop getting louder? any help i would appriciate thanks...

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Aren't the speakers distorting at those levels? And just which speakers are we talking about? (Remember, loudness just for the sake of loudness is not very good for your speakers and definitely not for your ears.)

3. JustinN

JustinN Auditioning

they are sony speakers, and i dont really hear distortion, its not really that loud, thats what i mean... i know loudness isnt good for speakers or your ears, but this isnt really that loud... thats why im slightly concerned.. will it get louder when all 5 speakers are hooked up?

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    If it doesn't clip, then it probably isn't running out of power. It will definitely not get louder when you hook more speakers to it.

You may have something like "night" mode turned on which attenuates output to reduce dynamic peaks for late night listening.

5. JustinN

JustinN Auditioning

no i dont have anything like that turned on, but how would hooking up more speakers not make it louder? i mean its 100x5 and i only have 2 hooked up... so that means its 100x2 right? its not cutting out or anything, im pretty sure its just the speakers arent really that great... they are sony speakers and only like 25 inches tall, not really meant to handle the power of the front speakers i guess... whats ur opinion?

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    It won't get any louder when you hook more speakers to it because you are drawing more current from each channel on the unit, which feeds all channels from a single power supply. You will gain SPL from additional speakers, but loose headroom on the amp, so the net gain is still not huge.

Some other thoughts: What is the impedance of the speakers? What gauge wire? Do you have them set to large or small?

7. JustinN

JustinN Auditioning

i have the speakers set at large, and the gauge running to the speakers is 18 i think, that may have a part in it too, the independance is 8 ohm 140 watt...

8. JustinN

JustinN Auditioning

would speaker wire really make a difference??

9. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

The heavier the gauge the better (generally). You should be running at least 16 gauge. Do you have a powered subwoofer in this system? If so, you should set your speaker outputs to "small."

10. JustinN

JustinN Auditioning

no subwoofer yet, so at least 16 gauge for all the speakers?