Problem with Sony Grand Wega

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Donald_S, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Donald_S

Donald_S Stunt Coordinator

I've got a 50" Sony Grand Wega I picked up about 18 months ago. Suddenly it's developed a weird display problem (see link).

Sony Wega Screen

I wish that blotch on the side was dust shaped, but it looks awfully regular. Any idea what it might be? And is there any way to fix it, or is it just tech time and pray it doesn't cost $1,000 to fix?

Thanks a bunch!

Donald

2. Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little Supporting Actor

Sorry to be the one to tell you this, but that is one of the 3 lcd panels in the light engine going bad. To repair your tv, it means they will need to replace the light engine itself. I tried to find the thread over at the AVSForum discussing this very issue and all of them had a similar look. The lines seem to move at perfect 90 degree angles from each other, right? Sorry to hear about your troubles.

3. Donald_S

Jeremy,

Dang, I was afraid of something like that. Since the bloody thing is out of warranty, I guess it doesn't matter who repairs it. So my next question is, does anyone know someone in the Los Angeles area who you'd trust to do a repair like that at a reasonable price?

Thanks,

Donald

4. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

It's time to call the consumer relations dept. They are the ones with the ability to grant any extensions on warranty. Depending on the exact model, it's either a $800 part with a $750 core charge (return of core depends on rebuild-ability of old block) or an $1100 part with a $1400 core. Getting the core credit might depend on dealing with an authorized servicer since they go direct back to the factory for examination and I don't know how that would work with a non-authorized servicer. Consumer relations will only work through an authorized servicer, too.

Your success with an extension depends on many factors but it usually works best if you make it sound like it's your own idea. Telling them that you "heard it on a forum" or "so-and-so" said I should contact you usually aggravates them. They are very territorial and don't like someone else making suggestions for them. Be firm but not obnoxious. Explain that you can't believe this is happening to a 2 year old set.

5. Donald_S

So should I just call a tech first, then discuss it with customer relations when they give me the bad news? Or should I call customer relations first? Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it.

Donald

6. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

Who you contact first might not make any difference since C.R. may refer you to the closest servicer anyway. I'd probably go with C.R. first. You could probably mention that a "friend" thought it was a bad optic block without contaminating the playing field too much. It may be a C.R. first, then servicer, then back to C.R. sequence. A bit of an end run but for $1000+ probably worth the effort. The idea is to get things started with special help as soon as possible without adding weeks (possibly) running through the servicer options.

7. Donald_S

Hey Steve, thanks a whole bunch, it's really, really appreciated.

Donald

8. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Want to begin the conversation with customer service or a technician by showing them the picture (enlarge it and fax it?) but not mentioning any technical terms such as "optical block" or "light engine"?

It is almost impossible to describe your picture using words spoken into a telephone.

Then go into questions such as how long it will take and whether you have to drag the set to a service center.

If the cost is considerable you can ask if any of the old parts, if replaced, have trade in value.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm