Problem with Sony CD mega changer

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Allan, May 18, 2002.

1. Jason Allan

Jason Allan Auditioning

Hi everyone,

I recently picked up a Sony mega CD changer, model CDP-CX450. I ordered it online and it arrived on Friday. My problem is I think I got a dud (which is now making me really regret ordering it online). It has a problem recognizing discs - I'll put a few in and some it will see and others it won't. It goes to the slot, shuffles around for a little while, then finally gives up and assumes no disc is there.

Has anyone else experienced this problem with one of these units? I made sure it was level, tried clearing the memory, etc. but I still have the problem. I really want to avoid trying to return it but I'm thinking I might not have much choice.

Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jason, it sounds like there is something wrong with the transport. Possibly some alignment problem. You could try a laser lens cleaning disc (available cheap at Radio Shack), but a new player should not have a dirty lens. Chances are, you have to return the player. Where did you order it from? Is the dealer authorized and do they charge a restocking fee? You could always exchange the unit for another one. Best of luck.

3. Milt S

Milt S Auditioning

I had the identical problem with my CDP-CX 400 in March; had it repaired under warranty. According to the repair invoice, they replaced a LASER DEVICE KSS213; since then the unit has performed flawlessly.

Incidentally, I was very pleased with the repair service at my local Circuit City - they had the unit repaired and back to me in one day. Biggest pain was removing and then reinstalling all the discs.

4. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

My 450 has played flawlessly, except for one particular CDR that would pick up only 50% of the time.

I wish you luck in getting service, it is a great unit. A couple of questions:

1. Are you sure you have the disc facing the correct way?

2. Are these retail CDs, or CDR/RW?

Good luck!

5. Jason Allan

Jason Allan Auditioning

Thanks for the replies everyone. These are all commercial CDs that I've tried it with and I made sure they were facing the right way. Plus, it would recognize certain CDs in some slots but not in others so it really seems to be the player, not the discs.

Oh well, I guess I'll have to arrange to have it exchanged. I suppose I'm happy I wasn't able to find much info about others with similar problems so I've likely just got a bad unit. I'd rather that then to find out later it's a common problem.

Thanks,

Jason