What's new

Problem with Sony 53HS10 (1 Viewer)

Danny R

Supporting Actor
Our Sony 53HS10 RPTV has suddenly developed a problem. I was hoping someone here might be able to help diagnose what it is before I start looking for repair options (and I'm praying that perhaps there is some sort of home repair I might do to avoid the cost - I'm comfortable disassembling computers and wouldn't feel threatened taking apart the TV.).

Here are the symptoms:

S and composite video signals from all the inputs are highly contrasted and banded, so that when you see a black letter, its very dark and a dark shadow streams away to the right.

The RGBHV and component video inputs however project normally when you switch to those inputs.

If you hit the menu command for the TV, the menu is also normal and doesn't have this strange banding or super contrasted look as it overlays the banded picture.

Now something weird... if you use picture in picture, one window will have the banding for those inputs, but the other will not, even if its source is the same input. Thus I can split the screen into two halves, and one picture is fine but the other sucks, but both have the same input source. Unfortunately you can't make the good picture active and go back to it... once you exit picture in picture mode the poor quality returns. The inputs that didn't have the banding are also fine in picture in picture mode.

I'm certain the problem is not due to a source external to the TV, as I've unplugged everything but a single input, bypassed my receiver and swapped cables and switched sources between DVD and other components with the same symptoms. A DVD for instance appears fine in component video, but crappy in composite or S-video.

It did this once before about two months ago, but the problem only lasted a few minutes and then went away again so I thought it might have just been a bad satellite signal or something.

Thanks in advance!

Danny R

Supporting Actor
Ok, no bites yet.

I did a little searching, and found a repair website that listed a simular problem:

Problem: Severe horizontal lines in video from Composite, tuner and S-video input modes. Component video is fine. Picture and picture are normal when using composite, tuner or S-video.

Solution: "B" board. The Digital Reality Controller (DRC) Defective. This part is responsible for converting the NTSC video to Progressive scan. It is also responsible for the PNP operations. Replacing the "B" corrected the trouble.

Ok, so assuming the KP57HW40 that this problem refers has a simular parts layout as my KP53HS10, then I now know the cause of the problem and the solution.

So are any of you folks familiar with how to A) obtain a "B" board, and B) how easy it might be to replace this?

This TV is no longer under warranty, and is not really usable in its present state. The repair estimates thus far are so high that I'm seriously considering a new set if I can't fix this myself... thus I have little to lose by trying.

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
There are four "B" boards in this model (BA BD BM BR) and each one is about $200. The jack panel board also has some video switching circuitry on it. The "B" boards are not particularly serviceable but are of limited availability (when they run out they will be gone , no more to be produced). The only simple repairs would be connecter problems or jack panel problems. Connecter problems (usually where the connecter is soldered to the boards) tend to be intermittent and easily disturbed by vibration or tapping on them lightly with a non-conductive probe. The video passes through a LOT of connecters and the input switching circuit is subject to static electric shock when plugging in cables.

I don't see this as a DIY type of job but it's not necessarily hopeless. Best bet would be to find an authorized servicer , take it in yourself , and request an estimate if it runs over about $200. This $ amount gives the servicer some incentive to find the problem without sticking boards in it and gives you the option to back out if it does need an expensive board. If you're not willing to invest $200 (give or take a little) then you're probably not going to get it fixed (you need to be somewhat realistic about repair costs).

Danny R

Supporting Actor
Connecter problems (usually where the connecter is soldered to the boards) tend to be intermittent and easily disturbed by vibration or tapping on them lightly with a non-conductive prob

Interesting that you said this, because this morning the TV magically started working properly again.

I guess taking it into a repair place now would be mostly pointless, as its usually difficult to find a fault when its not acting up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks