What's new

Problem with SACD on Denon DVD 5900 & HK AVR 7200 (1 Viewer)

Thira

Agent
Hi all. Looking for some help. I just added the Denon DVD-5900 to my home theater. My AVR unit is the HK AVR 7200. Speakers are:
Monitor Audio Silver S10 fronts/main
Monitor Audio Silver S1 rears
Monitor Audio Silver S-LCR
Monitor Audio Silver SFX Surrounds
Velodyne HGS-18 Subwoofer
The DVD-5900 is connected to the AVR 7200 with digital audio (coax1), and analog audio from the left & right outs on the DVD 5900 to the DVD left & right audio ins on the AVR 7200. Video is via component connectors from the DVD 5900 to the AVR 7200. A 50' Panasonic Plasma is my monitor.
When I try to play the Rolling Sones SACD Beggars Banquet on the DVD 5900, there is no sound. The AVR 7200 shows the left and right speaker channels blinking off & on. If I go into the OSD of the AVR 7200 and change the audio source from the DVD source to analog the SACD plays. Everything else plays fine. The HDTV receiver plays the appropriate audio fine (HD from DIrect TV or Over The Air local channels). DVD movies play fine thru the DVD 5900. I have a turntable via a preamp connected into the analog CD on the AVR 7200 & this is appropriate.
I read the manual for the DVD 5900 an I believe my setup is correct on this unit.
I should mention that the unit was purched from Crutchfield and is a refurbished one which I have just received. Before I reture it I wanted to check if there is something else that I may not have correct on my end.
Thank you for the anticipated helpful replies.
Thira

Thira

Agent
Looking thru Jesse's post below, and looking at SA-CD.net, the Rolling Stones Beggars Banquet is Stereo, hybrid and analogue.
So am I correct that my system plays this SACD correct (meaning I must change the settings on my AVR 7200 from digital coax to analog)? When I have this setting the SACD plays thru my system, albeit thru only the two front channels.
Can anyone confirm?
Thanks

Aaron Ssikind

Auditioning
If you just want to listen to the stereo channels of the SACD layer of the disc, your set-up will work. To listen to a multichannel (surround) SACD (or DVD-audio, for that matter) disc, you should hook up the multichannel analog outputs of the Denon (e.g. front left, front right, center, surround left, surround right and subwoofer outputs) to the multichannel (6/8 channel) inputs of the HK 7200 (on the rear panel, just to the left of the HK's digital inputs) and set the source on the receiver to 6/8 channel (rather than DVD).

The coaxial digital connection between the DVD player and the receiver will only transfer the data from the regular CD layer of the SACD (if it has one). I have no idea why you don't hear anything over the digital connection when listening to that particular SACD.

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
yes, you MUST use an analog connection to play the hirez portion of sacds, whether 2-channel OR multi-channel.

you probably can't hear anything with your digi connection because your digital output may have been turned off on the player, or you didn't set it up properly to play the non-hirez material instead of the hirez.

if that's what you're trying to do.

Thira

Agent
SO do I need to connect up like Aaron suggests or do I not have an output set correctly as I now have my system wired with inputs?
Thanks

Drew_W

Screenwriter
SACD will *NOT* play through any sort of digital connection, same with DVD-Audio. You'll have to use the analog outputs from the DVD player to the receiver in order to enjoy the high-resolution tracks. You'll be able to play the DD/DTS/Redbook tracks some of these CDs may contain, but the highres track can *ONLY* be played through analog outputs.

The way I have it setup is that I have my multichannel inputs connected using 6 analog cables, and use that only to listen to SACD/DVDA (i.e. when I absolutely need to). For movies and such, I use a digital cable. When using analog connections, it is the DVD player that does the processing (including decoding, bass management, etc); when you use a digital connection, you let your receiver handle all that. You should experiment to see which works out better for you for DVD playback.

Michael__M

Stunt Coordinator
For the 7200 use the multichannel inputs as described above. You will need 6 rca lines ( or 3 pairs) to connect all of it. You will then use the 6/8 channel input (instead of dvd or cd) to listen to the hires discs. There are different 6/8 channel input configs on the 7200. Some use outboard bass management, and some use onboard. Look it up in the manual to be sure you are using it correctly. It should sound great when you get it right.

Michael

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
you can also connect the player with only 2 (1 pr.) analog cables (l+r) and set the 5900 up for 2 channel playback if you do not wish to use the multichannel hirez music capabilities and only want 2 channel hirez.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Actualy, the 5900 has the ability to pass both hi-res formats via digital, but ONLY to compatible Denon receivers - 5803, 3805, 4802R(?)

Drew_W

Screenwriter
Right...totally forgot about the whole iLink or whatever it's called. Pioneer Elite has the same type of connection possibility, but when I was posting I was thinking only digital coax/fibre optic.

Thira

Agent
I just hooked it up to the analog inputs. I used 8 channels (Front L&R, Surround L&R, Rear Surrond L&R, Center, & subwoofer). Niiiiiiice! It is simply incredible.
Thanks all!
Thira

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks