What's new

Problem with RP-56 freezing (1 Viewer)

TommyB

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone had this problem? It has happened on a few movies, but it is always at the same frame on that particular film, which leads me to think it is just a software problem. However, the discs are brand new...out of the box.

Craig

Second Unit
Does it happen multiple times in one movie or only once per movie? Most discs have a layer change and a brief pause is common, usually lasting around a second or so.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Except for the layer change which most of the time I don't see occuring, I've never had a problem with my RP56.

Kevin

TommyB

Stunt Coordinator
I believe it only happened once per movie. What exactly is a layer change?

Craig W

Second Unit
Most DVDs are recorded with two layers of data. The pause you are seeing is when the laser is refocussing and searching for the beginning of the second layer.

DVDs come in the following falvors:
DVD5 - Single layer, Single sided
DVD9 - Dual layer, Single sided
DVD10 - Single layer, Dual sided (essentially two DVD5s pressed together)
DVD14 - Dual sided where one side is dual layered and the other is single
DVD18 - Dual layered, Dual sided (essentially two DVD9s pressed together)

DVD9 seems to be the most popular choice since it allows films to be stored on the disc with less compression since it is stored over two layers and it eliminates the need for the user to flip the disc for extra long features. DVD9 can hold roughly 3 hours with decent quality video. DVD5 is now mostly used for films with running times of 90 minutes or under.

DVD18 is the least common since it suffers from higher failure rates in the pressing plants.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks