Problem with right rear surround on Onkyo.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by francisco-a, Jan 21, 2003.

1. francisco-a

francisco-a Agent

Please help!!

I have a Onkyo TX-DS494 receiver, and yestrday was the first time that i used the surrounds, but only the left one, cause the right sounds very low. It´s not the speaker cause I´ve hooked it to the left output and it was ok. The setup is on 5 speaker select, using Dolby Prologic 2, the level of all the speakers is on +12db (the max). Everything sound great great, except for the right surround. what can -I do?I have a Onkyo TX-DS494 receiver, and yestrday was the first time that i used the surrounds, but only the left one, cause the right sounds very low. It´s not the speaker cause I´ve hooked it to the left output and it was ok. The setup is on 5 speaker select, using Dolby Prologic 2, the level of all the speakers is on +12db (the max). Everything sound great great, except for the right surround. what can -I do?
    [​IMG]

2. Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown Second Unit

My comments:

1. Try listening to a true 5.1 source like a DVD movie in Dolby Digital. DPL-II is variable on what comes out of the surrounds.
    2. Check the speaker wire connection at the receiver to make sure it is properly connected.
    3. Why do you have the level setup for all channels set to +12? Set them back to 0db, and only alter them up or down a few db for balancing, preferably with a Radio Shack sound level meter. If you want more volume just use the volume control on the receiver.

3. francisco-a

francisco-a Agent

Rick: Actually, it´s working great now. I just unpluged it for 5 minutes and I turn the standby button off before doing that and now it´s working. It´s very extrange. The source are Cd´s stereo and some encoded with Dolby Surround.

I have the speakers (all) setup at +12db (he max. starst -12 to +12) cause I tought that is better to have the volume lower to reach a volume that I like (25 to 30, lest than the half) If you says that is better to have them in 0db and just turn up the volume, I will do. Thank for your post.

4. Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown Second Unit

I'm glad your problem appears to be fixed. The reason for not turning up the setup levels all to +12db is that you can overload your preamp and increase distortion. Good luck with your listening!