Problem with resonance

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John-Miles, Mar 17, 2003.

1. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

The way my room is laid out (which there is ntohgin i can do about it for now) I am getting major resonance from my Sub at 60hz it is actually painful to listen to while frequencies above and below are fine, is there a filter i can get or something to lower the output of the sub at a certain frequency band?

my gear is a Yamaha RX-V1300 receiver and a PSB subzero subwoofer.

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne

3. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Hmmmm somethign tells me that this upgrade might actually be more expensive than just oh say moving out of my parents place and building my own house [​IMG]

just kidding i know it wont be that bad, but i pretty much blew my yearly budget on the Yamaha RX-V1300 and Yamaha S2300, so im low on funds for anythign expensive.

is it possible to DYI one? or rather get a friend of mine who is an electrical engineer to DYI one for me [​IMG]

4. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Is the sub cabinet itself resonating, or possibly something near by in the room?

Also if you run a freq sweep and use the Rat Shack SPL Meter, do you see a huge room induced spike at 60hz?

=====>
    Your post is some what un-clear so I'm just stabbing in the dark.
    =====>

If the (sub cabinet itself) is resonating, sitting something heavy on it may help. Also check if it's ported to see if the port is loose.

If something in the room is resonating at that freq, you will have to track it down.

If it's a big room induced spike at 60hz, you might try a different location for the sub that may produce a flatter responce.

And lastly a Parametic EQ like a BFD could cure the spike problem.

Hope that helps
    Geoff

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

The BFD is about $125 + shipping so it's not a huge investment.

But you get a LOT of sound from a sub via wall reflections. And the frequency depends on the length of the wall that the sub "sees" from it's center.

Pick the longest wall that the sub is against and move the sub to a 3/5 position or even 1/3 position along the length. This gives the sub 2 smaller walls to reflect from.

Use your 60 hz test tone and the SPL meter and take measurments before you move, at the 3/5 position and the 1/3 position to see if it is having an effect. You may have to move the sub along the other wall.

Another Technique:

Move your couch and put the sub in exactly the place you would normally sit. Fire up the 60 hz tone and then crawl along the walls with a roll of masking tape. Often, the sound will sound loud/boomy in some spots and smoother/tighter in others. Mark the location where the sound is better with masking tape. This should give you several alternate spots to place the sub.

Good Luck.

6. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Ok Geoff to answer your question Yes it is a large room induced spike at around 60Hz, you the SPL meter really jumps at 60Hz.

Thanks for the info Bob, I will try some other room placements like you suggested. but I likely wont have time to do that till the weekend.... or maybe tomorrow if we get another snow storm like the weather man says [​IMG]