problem with rear speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark_Su, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Mark_Su

Mark_Su Agent

Sometimes (it's totally random) I get static-like distortion on either one of my rear Onkyo hts650 speakers.
    This only seems to happen with DVDS. The wires leading to them are only 30 feet long and encased in Wiremold and I'm using an optical cable to connect my DVD player to my receiever. I tried watching a movie through my PC which is connected to my receiver via a coaxial cable, but the distortion eventually came through there as well (but dissapeared 10 seconds later). I'm pretty sure that the distortion only comes when either Dolby Digital or DTS is NOT being used (ie DVD menus screens). This happens only about 1 out of 10 times, but I'm worried it will get worse or damage my equipment. Everything is connected correctly and tightly so I'm suspecting either damaged speaker wires or a faulty receiver. Anyone have any idea what's going on and what I can do to fix it? Thanks in advance.

2. Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown Second Unit

What listening mode are you using when listening during these non-digital moments? PL-1, PL-2 or some other DSP?

3. Mark_Su

Mark_Su Agent

pl 2 movie

4. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Mark,

Do the lights on your receiver/decoder change during that static distortion period? Especially the led that signals the audio mode (DD, etc). It's possible, during menues, that the proper signal from the player to the decoder-part of the receiver isn't there all the time.

And could you, please, tell us a bit more about the nature of the distortion. What exactly do you hear? If it's like loud "ticks", it would be consistent with the above possibility.

Cees

5. Mark_Su

Mark_Su Agent

I haven't checked the lights, but I will next time it occurs. If the proper signal isn't there, is there I way I can make sure it always is? And would this mean my receiver or speakers are defective?

The sound emmited is the dvd sound (which becomes muted and warped sounding) overlapped with a static sound (static like that found on tv).

Now that I think about it, I leave my speakers playing music on 5 channel stereo for hours at a time but have never encountered this. It only seems to happen on dvd menus when prologic 2 movie is selected so I'm further led to believe that it's coming either from my receiver or dvds.

6. Mark_Su

Mark_Su Agent

i've just checked all connections and my wires and everything are clean and undamaged. i tried looking at dvd menus for over an hour with 5 channel stereo and the static didnt come. so is it safe to assume that this is strictly just a pl2 problem?

7. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Mark,

Yes, it could be a problem with the PL2 circuitry in the DVD player. Try to pinpoint the problem (can you use the receiver of a friend? And or his/her DVD-player?. Perhaps you should take the machine back to the retailer to have it examined. It certainly isn't normal!

Cees

8. Mark_Su

Mark_Su Agent

I tried two different DVD players and had the same problem. The problem would most likely be the receiver?

9. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Mark,

Yes, again. But to be complete, include the cable between the player and the receiver as a suspect. Try changing it. Then, if it still exists, it almost certainly must be the receiver (it cannot be the cables between receiver and speaker, because it only happens with that specific function of your receiver).

Good luck!

Cees